All Apps using JavaScriptCore just bounce in Dock

hairy_brute

Registered
Hey,

I recently (Aug 16, 2005) used software update to update my machine to have the most recent versions of both the Security update and Airport Software. After making this update, several of Apple's applications fail to work. Applications such as Safari, Mail and even the SoftwareUpdate Application fails to launch. They only bounce in the dock. Examining the Console, I think I have determined that the problem lies in JavaScriptCore Library. All applications have several error messages logged that look similar to these lines:

Code:
[color=blue]
dyld: /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari Undefined symbols:

WebKit undefined reference to _objc_msgSend expected to be defined in JavaScriptCore
WebKit undefined reference to __NPN_CreateObject expected to be defined in JavaScriptCore
WebKit undefined reference to __NPN_Evaluate expected to be defined in JavaScriptCore
WebKit undefined reference to __NPN_GetIntIdentifier expected to be defined in JavaScriptCore
WebKit undefined reference to __NPN_GetProperty expected to be defined in JavaScriptCore
WebKit undefined reference to __NPN_GetStringIdentifier expected to be defined in JavaScriptCore
WebKit undefined reference to __NPN_GetStringIdentifiers expected to be defined in JavaScriptCore
WebCore undefined reference to __ZN3KJS9ObjectImp9constructEPNS_9ExecStateERKNS_4ListERKNS_7UStringEi expected to be defined in JavaScriptCore[/color]

Thus I came to the conclusion that there is something wrong with the javaScriptCore. I've tried some basic remedies like: updating Java (java -version doesn't Seg Fault), repairing and verifying disk permissions, but now I'm completely stumped.

Thanks
Parker

Did you perform the new (MacOS X specific) rituals?

Pre update installation procedure:
01. Backup all personal data, plus some.
02. Run 'Disk Utility' and perform a 'Repair Disk' and 'Repair Disk Permissions'.

Post update installation procedure:
01. Run 'Disk Utility' and perform a 'Repair Disk' and 'Repair Disk Permissions'.

I omitted the 'waving a chicken above the Mac, by its neck' due to such being misintrepretated on an earlier thread.

Seriously, you are not alone. View 'Java semi-broken'?

Also, you could insert the 'Tiger' 'Mac OS X Install DVD' disc, navigate to '/System/Installation/Packages/', double click on 'Java.pkg' - and reinstall Java. I checked within the 'ComboUpdate 10.4.2' package and found no (noticable) indication of any additional Java installation(s).

I'll try that barhar.

Sorry, I never mentioned my mac OSX version. It is 10.3.9, not tiger. I also don't think that the problem lies within Java. I remember reading somewhere that JavaScript is distinctly different that just java.

I'm unsure if I understand your questions, but before applying the Security Update, I did not Repair permimssions or back up files. I guess I should do this from now on.

Thanks

I did see 'javaScriptCore' but, for some narrow minded reason found myself focusing on '... updating Java (java -version doesn't Seg Fault) ...'. No excuses.

If needed to know:
The 'JavaScriptCode.framework' folder path is: '/System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/JavaScriptCore.framework/'.

Sadly, If you cannot resolve the problem via conventional MacOS X troubleshooting methods / suggestions; you may have to back up everything and do a base 'Panther' install, followed by all the respective updates.

Back