All rights are messed up!

berny868

Registered
help!

all files on my harddrive (MacOS X 10.1) are owned by user "system" and group "unknown". and everyone is allowed to read/write everything everywhere.

as a result of this i cant print anymore (print center crashes since then) i can't do SU on console (setid is not permitted to do blablabla...)
SystemPrefs also didnt remember my settings if i change them now (only till i reboot/log off).

i dont know how this happened (no, havent changed anything, just installed DAVE 3.1). any better idea than initalizing the HD and reinstalling all my crap?

thanks a lot

bundeskanzler.at

BatChmod on versiontracker under the MacOSX pages (do a search for it there).

This is an essential app for OSX, it sorts out and lets you apply privileges etc.

fine fine.

but i dont know what files belong to every user/group.
my main prob zb is that some commands are now in the wrong group for beeing executed and doing some jobs. also some of the printcenter files are in the wrong group for doing their work correctly also.
its fine that i can change group/owner of files with this prog, but i dont know to what i should set them.

thanks.
BK

I see, that sounds like a heavy bit of sorting!

I can't think of an app that finds original privileges etc.

Anyone else?

Reinstall! It sounds a lot worse than it is. Unlike any previous Mac OS's, reinstalling OS X will only replaced altered and/or deleted system files. You will not lose your preferences or added 3rd-party applications. Don't reformat, don't bother backing up your files, just boot up off the Installer disk and reinstall on top of your existing OS X. All ownerships and permissions will be restored to their default settings.
The whole process should take you about 15 minutes.
:D

is right.

I had to do this last week, fearing the worst!!

Thankfully, the whole process did take 15 minutes and didn't touch any of my essential (or even non-essential) system stuff (including prefs, etc.)

i reinitialized my harddrive. ok. i initialized it not als HFS+ but UFS.
NOW! my lexmark printerdriver doesnt want to install, because he says my harddrive is a network volume....ok....tried logging in as ROOT.
hu! root doesnt accept my password. well, booted from the 10.1 CDROM to reset my password. but when i choose "Reset Password" from the installers menu, NOTHING happens....and now....the !§"%$% doesnt even boot up anymore....it searches an age for the systemfolder and then i get this broken sys folder icon...thats it. but i have all my data moved to this UFS partition. should i reinstall OS 10.1 on this or should i first move my HD to a friends G4 and copy my data? thx.

btw: i begin to hate X....had only troubles with it *argh*

thanks in advance
BK

i am having many of the same problems, and i was thinking all along that i needed to initialize my hard drive and start all over, but this brings me new hope.
however, i am running 10.1.1 on my computer, but the only full install CD I have is 10.0.0. If I install that, then go through all of the minor updates, including the CD install of 10.1.0, will everything be okay, or will going back so many versions screw more stuff up?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Bryce

Back