All Text Editors are Slow for my typing

Brajeshwar

Registered
I'm not sure why but Almost all text editors are slow on my mac, the type do not show up as fast as I type. This happens for all Text Editors, Eclipse and almost anything where I can type on the Mac. This do not happen on the browsers though.

Some information that would help us pin point the problem. What text editors have you used? What's the configuration of your machine (processor, RAM, etc)?

Or check in the System Preferences on the KeyBoard Preferences about speed of typing. And again maybe something could be hogging your system then look in Utilitys Folder and open Activities Monitor and see if anything looks out of bounds

The keyboard preferences only control the repeat rate, i.e. how fast the characters appear on your screen when you hold a key down, and after how long. They shouldn't affect how fast you can type, as you should be able to put out 100 wps without seeing any noticeable lag in what you type and what appears on the screen.

The keyboard control rate is fine.

Mine is a PPC PowerBook G4 with 2GB RAM 1.67 GHz

Editors - CotEditor, Smultron, Eclipse

Have you tried running Activity Monitor and seeing if there are any rogue processes that are sucking up your CPU power? You shouldn't be seeing such poor performance when running those text editing apps.

Well, I finally removed almost all Plugins for Eclipse save for the bare ones like subeclipse, ASDT and I think that have improved the speed a lot. Nonetheless, I'm still confused why it should affect other text editors.

I agree that is strange. Eclipse plugins shouldn't have an effect on how fast other text editors run. I'm guessing that one of those plugins could have crashed, and was taking up all the processor time. Did you manage to check Activity Monitor in the end?

Back