All your sytem preferences belong to OS!

ony_gosshamer

a.k.a. dundee
I can't establish preferences for 2 items in the sytem preferences menu:

Screensaver: Screen Savers and activation menus
I can't establish any other screensaver nor turn the damn thing off.

International: the keyboard menu.
I want to set it to French Canadian and only French Canadian. The US keeps turning itself on thus making a little flag on the menu bar.

No matter what I do, the preferences keep coming back to their default state. It not that important but still, I wish I had power over my OS. Any one have any suggestions.:confused:

the easy way to make it stick to the french canadian version is to uncheck the US version once you check the french canadian version. This way it should stay FC :)

I have the same problem with french and US versions. It seems the US version get activated after installing new apps, thought thats little more than a guess.
I agree with ony, OS X's habit to reset prefs is annoying.

Try logging in as another user. Don't have another user? Create one, it's helpful for troubleshooting ;). Log in as other user. Problem still there? That's pretty much over my head.
Some suggestions (Not in order):

Try deleting ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist (~ indicates your home directory)
For the International problem: Maybe find someone that has a copy of /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Localization.prefpane (same with ScreenSaver.prefpane). You could also try to drag French Canadian to the top of the list in the Keyboard Menu tab. (*EXTREME*-- maybe log in as root and remove all but the French Canadian layout from /System/Library/Keyboards).

That's all I got, bro. Hope you get it fixed.

Actually, I can't get preferences for iTunes nor iPhoto either. Each time I launch iTunes, it prompts me to agree to the 'iTunes user licence agreement', like when you launch iTunes for the first time. Same with iPhoto, it asks me if iPhoto should launch automatically when a camera is hooked up. The galleries or playlist are there, crossfade import settings are there as well. It's just the launching that seems to be stuck in "first time mode".

:confused:

I'm having the same problem with keyboared layout and iTunes licence agreement. Tried dumping the prefs but made no difference after reboot.

Sounds like a permissions issue, generally speaking. Repaired them? Oh, and: That's a VERY old thread you're reviving here. ;)

I've repaired permissions 3 times. I have been scouring the web for a solution and the geeks at work are not being very helpful. It's a new image and having the same problem on all macs it's installed on. I need to get it working as we're a multi-lingual company and a lot of users may use 5 or more languages.

Thanks if you can offer any help at all!

Back