Alpine Confirms iPod interface adapter the company's headunits

I know I'm resurrecting an old Thread, but…

I finally got my Alpine HeadUnit and iPod Adaptor, and they're installed. I suppose what follows is a review of it.

I got the HeadUnit and 'Changer' as a Promotional Bundle, which cost only AU$500.
The HeadUnit is a CDA-9826, which is the second-best quality "Classic" Headunit in the 2004-2005 Range. It features MP3-WMA CD Playback, with 8-character scrolling ID3 Tag Display. CD-TEXT CDs also display in a similar fashion.
FM & AM Radio stations can also be labeled by Callsign.
Searching for Radio Stations and CD Tracks is simple and consistent, using the "search" button and "Rotary Encoder". Searching through ID3 Tags on an MP3 CD or MP3 Changer uses the same interface, but uses the 1,2,3 buttons to search by Playlist, Artist or Track.
For an example of this behaviour, check out http://www.alpine.com.au/driveyouripod/ipod_demo.htm

Your iPod plugs into KCA-420i using a proprietary cable with an iPod Dock Connector at one end. It can be unplugged without Unmounting, without damaging the File System. It behaves like a Large MP3 CD.

The downsides to this combination are:
1) Last Played and Play Count are not updated, so if you are pedantic about having accurate Track information, this setup may not be ideal.
2) The Rotary Encoder is a digital dial, and cannot be fast-scrolled, like an iPod Click Wheel, so Getting to those Ween and Underworld Tracks can take some time and concentration.
3) The 8 Character Scrolling Display can only display Upper Case 7-bit ASCII Characters, so "Sigur Rós" gets displayed as "SIGUR RA S" and any Album which can't be displayed, such as "Ágætis Byrjun" cannot be displayed at all.

In Summary, I wouldn't recommend these Options for Obsessive Music Appreciators, but for someone who just wants to listen to music, It's a functional Automotive iPod Solution.

Back