Alternative to remote desktop connection??

dfemorton

Registered
Good afternoon.

I have recently setup my first Mac server at home for training pursoses.

Is there an alternative to remote desktop connection that I could use for my mac server, or is it just a case of setting up a VPN and connecting via remote desktop?

Can I use remote desktop connection or is this just for Windows based servers only? (I presume it is).

If these questions seem a bit naive I apologise but I am stepping foot into the world of Mac for the first time.

OS is OSX tiger server version 10.4.1

What you want is a VNC server and client. There are plenty of these available, as this search will show you:

http://www.versiontracker.com/php/search.php?&mode=basic&action=search&str=vnc&plt[]=macosx&x=0&y=0

My favourite VNC server is OSXVNC. There are also some available that allow you to connect via a web-browser, so the client computer doesn't need to have VNC client softwar installed.

Apple offer their own, very advanced solution called "Apple Remote Desktop". I believe Tivoli also offer a high-end commercial remote desktop solution.

Hey, I just stumbled across this fact this afternoon. It seems that as of Mac OS 10.4 "Tiger" there is now a built in VNC server. Go to System Preferences --> Sharing --> Services --> click Apple Remote Desktop and then select the VNC option. You'll also need to open a port on the firewall, by going to the Firewall tab. Choose to add other and choose VNC from the dropdown. Voila! VNC server ready to go!

Thank you for all of your advice.

I now have OSX VNC installed on the sever and I have setup port forwardig on my router.

Connection is great,thank you for all of your advice.

PS interesting about the built in remote desktop feature in Tiger,will take a look at that later.

Back