Aluminum Powerbook owners beware: update may kill your lower RAM slots!

Mine seems fine, though I only have a lower at the moment.

So I guess it only happens to a few, or it's just a rumor.

CM said:
Mine seems fine, though I only have a lower at the moment.

So I guess it only happens to a few, or it's just a rumor.

hopefully just a rumor, although there are an awful lot of people who have posted the same experience in the comments below the article.

Yeah I saw this on digg.com. Rather interesting if you ask me. Hopefully this won't be an issue once the Intel Mac portables are available, especially if Intel is also going to be designing the motherboard for the next wave of Apple laptops.

Happened to me. I had two 512 MB dimms, suddenly I noticed my PB becoming slower. I sold both and got a 1 GB dimm. Not really a solution, but hey... I couldn't live 2 weeks without my PB (and at the time, it was pretty clear I'd have to pay for a new motherboard...) :/

DEFINITELY not a rumour, sadly.

this is the second time this has happened to me i already had to replace my logic board and i'm about to do it again in my 1.5 15" pb i had two 512 which i had to swap for a 1gb when i did so i put the 1gb in the lower slot when i went home from work i realized my pb was running slow and checked the ram it only recognized 512 of the 1gb so i thought it was bad ram so i swapped it with another one same thing so swapped it with a third 1gb with the same results ran apple hardware test came up with error on logic board but the weirdest thing is is that it passed ASD and it passed the quick test on AHT so i moved the 1gb to the top slot and it has been working just fine. * steeve jobs and his *ing smart marketing i know this was a known issue that they let happen.

that's horrible news fryke. :( How long had you had your PB before it happened?

ur right that they shouldn't let it happen now that it's a known issue nervous_films. They really should be working round the clock for a solution IMO.

I have seen it happening to many PB's logic boards for some reason. Hopefully Apple will fix this problem when they roll out with Intel PBs. Its a shame PowerBooks are awsome yet their logicboards are failing.

I wonder what the software updates actually _did_ ... How can a software update fry _one_ of two RAM slots?

lilbandit: Nothing happened so far. If I had sent it in back then, I would have had to pay the motherboard, my Mac dealer told me, because the warranty was gone already. So I just went with the 1 GB DIMM. I plan to sell this baby sooner or later (of course I *will* tell about the RAM story when selling), and until then, 1 GB is as much RAM as my PB can take.

That's a disgrace, surely there is some comeback when a product that you have purchased from Apple is damaged due to a software update that Apple posted/recommended?

I'm not sure there actually is. All those small legal texts in software updates... Also: How to proof that it was actually one of their software updates that killed the slot? They could claim it was 3rd party RAM or bad handling of the PB or anything, basically... Until they actually have a system in place (free motherboard swapping for owners of PBs with serial numbers XYZ), there's not much a private person can do. I could go yelling at staff at the store, but they're not even Apple's people, they're just store staff (no Apple Stores in Switzerland...). And that wouldn't do much good.

Currently, my PB runs okay, so that's that. I'm not a big fan of the way it's been handled, and I certainly would be happier if it hadn't happened to me, but then again I was "lucky" with so many problems other people had with their machines and software updates (iTunes 2.0.2 erasing harddrives, Panther final erasing FW drives...) that I guess I'll just accept this one for now.

Yeah, we should change the thread title. It's only about some AluBooks. I'm going to do this now...

Back