Always List View in OS X Finder

sydneytim

Registered
That's right... I don't like Icon view, and I don't care much for Column View, either. What am I to do? Is there a setting or a workaround that makes List View the default?

Thanks,

tim

To set default finder window views, close all windows, open a window, resize and position it to your liking, and click the list view button - without selecting any folders or files, then close the window again. You should find that new windows from now on will appear in list view, of the size and position that you chose.

The trick here is not to touch the contents of the window, if it doesn't work, thats probably the problem.

this only works if you open the finder from the dock....if you open an alias or a mounted drive off your desktop itll ignore these settings..... too bad... if anyone knows a fix to this it would be good to know. I have a feeling there should be a cmd line to set this....

andehlu said:
this only works if you open the finder from the dock....if you open an alias or a mounted drive off your desktop itll ignore these settings..... too bad... if anyone knows a fix to this it would be good to know. I have a feeling there should be a cmd line to set this....

ah, such is the Finder - inconsitent at the best of times, and down right unpredictable at the worst...

there is the show view options thing, which has a tick box for using the current settings for all windows, but as andehlu said, this only works from the dock, and not from disk images

Fiddling with the window preferences might get the view to just what you want if all else fails. You'll find it in the Window menu.

Good Luck,
Squibler

Back