Am I a Traitor? I own an XBox now...

Greystroke

Mr. Wizard
So the girl I just got engaged to is awesome...plain and simple. My B-day was in March and she said my present was to large to ship. I just thought she wanted to give it to me personally, but to my surprise she got me a frickin' XBox! I couldn't believe it. Me and about 10 guys from church get together on the third Sat. of every month to play Halo (usually in massive 5v5 to 6v6 games, lots of death ) I can now join them! huzzah.

Anyway she got me the little controller, thankfully, the hybrid Sega GT / Jet Set Radio Future -- game that came with it. As of now I've purchased Halo, the staple of XBox, the DVD remote and another controller.

So am I a traitor to the Apple empire? :)

Originally posted by Greystroke
So the girl I just got engaged to is awesome...plain and simple. My B-day was in March and she said my present was to large to ship. I just thought she wanted to give it to me personally, but to my surprise she got me a frickin' XBox! I couldn't believe it. Me and about 10 guys from church get together on the third Sat. of every month to play Halo (usually in massive 5v5 to 6v6 games, lots of death ) I can now join them! huzzah.

Anyway she got me the little controller, thankfully, the hybrid Sega GT / Jet Set Radio Future -- game that came with it. As of now I've purchased Halo, the staple of XBox, the DVD remote and another controller.

So am I a traitor to the Apple empire? :)

Let's be honest. The XBOX is the best gaming system out there. It's the only one with a decent online system, it has a hard drive killing the need for memory cards (unless you want to bring your info elsewhere) and frankly it's the most powerful. It also has the best controller in the S-model. The only way you could have bought a system that DIDN'T threaten the Apple empire somehow is by not buying a system at all. Apple users are paranoid freaks who get threaten by everything they don't have and defend themselves senselessly in a war they can't win.

Technically, you could have bought a Gamecube since it uses a PowerPC, but while Nintendo makes great games, their controller is the most ridiculous piece of garbage ever conceived.

Andre

My family has one and we are all Mac heads. Don't worry about it. You aren't alone. I mean Sony Playstation is almost as bad if you really think about it, because they are the competition as well, the Viao.

You are not a traitor. When i discovered you could install Linux to an xbox, i wanted one .. to use it as a server. :) Xbox - i heard - is supposed to cost more to M$ than they earn from it: their income is from selling the games. So like if in my case it'd be not buying over 5 new games (to make it them profitable), I probably would never game with it, just use it as server and enjoy it still.
Enjoy your Xbox, games - and congrats for engaging. :)

Seven Reasons Why The XBOX Can Suck It....(pretty interesting)

I have to say, the only console in my house is a PS2, and we rarely use it. Nobody's really a big video game freak. As hardcore Apple as I am, and as much as I hate all things M$, I have to admit that although all the BEST games eventually make their way to the Mac OS, it's not the best platform for a hardcore gamer, who wants something the day it comes out. I've heard something abotu a new technology that's gonna make it possible for Mac/PC versions of games to be released simultaneously...are they going to be hybrids, or what?

You DO know the fact that you can "mod" you xbox so you can get a bigger HD and store games on it?

It is the ultimate pirating system right now (before it was dreamcast).

Rent from Blockbuster. Store on HD. Return game. Play.

yeah, also if you rent a game and say get pretty far in it, all your dta is saved, so if you eventually buy the game no need to start over.

(oh and i was just kidding about the traitor thing -- i mean hey the last console i had was a Sega CD I'm about due for an upgrade)

I'm not a big fan of any xbox controller. I also just picked up an xbox (used from a coworker).
I think the GC controllers are much more confortable and the PS2 ones are a good proven design. The Dreamcast controller is pretty confortable. But I can't stand the button placement on the xbox controllers. The Type S is much better than the original but it still feels like they went out of their way to put some of the buttons in rather uncomfortable spots.
xbox live is decent, but I don't subscribe to it personally. All my online games are currently free (Mac and PS2) so until I get a good reason to get xbox live, I won't be paying for online gaming.

Well, Microsoft's gaming department is the only part of Microsoft that seems to be continously inventive and has many redeeming qualities.

So yeah, buy one. Then when it gets old, gut it and put an Apple in its case :)

the more and more i spend time with it, i actually come to find that it is really put together well, beside the fact that people mod it. I'm really enjoying it, of course that could also be because my last system was a SegaCD :)

Sega CD!? Good god man! Go out and go buy yourself a Sony Plastation right now! Go!!

The best library, great controller, and a cheap price. Trust me, you won't regret it.

The Xbox looks nice, but everytime I've ever tried to play one on a store it's crashed. Seriously. And I'm not a really hardcore Microsoft flamer. I just must give off some kind of radiation that makes all things Microsoft die. Anyway, I am something of a gamer and I -love- my Gamecube. I got it when it first came out and all of the games were super sucky, but with time the games have gotten awesome. Anyway, who needs ANYTHING besides ZELDA????

Oh yeah, I hate the controllers tho. Bad move on Nintendo's part...It is so hard to do something delicate in a game with those crap controllers.

that was a complaint i've heard a lot from gamecube owners. with my controller s the initial giganto controller is a null argument. i like to compare it to the apple still shipping with one button mice.

I really like the gamecube, and had my Xbox not been a gift (and about 12 guys i can play halo and similar games with :)) it would of been what i would have gotten...

It is true about the Microsoft loosing money with thier xboxs. An Intel guy came to our school and was talking about some stuff (the conversation eventually came to Microsoft's xbox). He said it cost Microsoft $400 to make an Xbox, and it was originally sold for $300 (I think its down to $200 now). Microsoft is supposed to get all thier money from games, but thats not working out too well right now (which is why the price on the xbox fell).

Personally, I like the PS2. The Gamecube is good too (and the controller is terrible), but the xbox I don't see any good games for (except Halo). But the xbox HD and networking is really nice, something I hope/wish that Sony would have done to the PS2 (or would do to the PS3).

see you have to actually play some games on the xbox and look around. i used to use the same argument. all consoles start out slow on good games, the cube was really lacking at first and so was the box. Return to Castle Wolfenstein came out yesterday and Brute Force is due out sometime at the end of this month (dubed the next halo) I love NFS Hot Pursuit 2. the library is growing.

Honestly the more XBoxs Microsoft sells the more it'll cost 'em in the long run. I get one in 11 days. :D

Anybody out there have a lot of games? I can only buy one game to start off with and I want to start off good. NOTE: not halo though, I beat that plenty of times at a friends house and it's boring now.

I have been Nintendo all the way, ever since the Game and Watch handheld games (I believe these came out before the NES but if not maybe someone can correct me! ;) ), but I have not purchased a Gamecube and don't plan on doing it because I've found I enjoy playing new games on a computer. I frequently play my NES, but as for new consoles, I don't think I'll be getting any new ones. Halo is coming out for the Mac anyway isn't it?

-Perseus

if you plan on getting LIVE for games I would suggest MechAssault or Return To Castle Wolfenstein, if you like fighters go with Dead or Alive 3

Racing games : I love Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 and RallySport

Back