Am I compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstakid

Registered
Can someone please give me their educated guess on this issue?
I have a Power Mac 9600/200 upgraded with Sonnet G4 450/225 ,13 Gig HD, 256 MB ram, currently running 9.0.4. HOW do I go about installing OSX PB as I know this is an unsupported configuration. Thanks to any helpful advisors ; )

Apple has stated that it will NOT work with any sort of upgrade card (your 9600 included). I would email Sonnet and see what they say about all this. They have been awfully silent about this. Without being conspiratorial about this, Apple can force a lot of new sales but not allowing upgrade cards.

just to clarify the previous post by ravedog...

apple has not said "it won't work." apple has said it does not *support* installs on machines prior to apple g3.

i suspect that it will install in most pci based power macs, with perhaps some of the upgrade manufacturers that required software to make their cards work having to update the drivers...

so, my guess is yes, it will probably work, but perhaps an email to sonnet to ask about their plans would be wise...

just to clarify the previous post by ravedog...

apple has not said "it won't work." apple has said it does not support installs on machines prior to apple g3.

i suspect that it will install in most pci based power macs, with perhaps some of the upgrade manufacturers that required software to make their cards work having to update the drivers...

so, my guess is yes, it will probably work, but perhaps an email to sonnet to ask about their plans would be wise...

Sonnet has quickly responded and stated that their cards do not currently work with OS X PB but they are in the process of making the necessary changes to make all G3 and G4 cards(including those already in use) fully compatible and supported by Sonnet.
Of course I will do my damndest to get it all set up.

I'm also not sure what "PB" means in this context. Do you mean the public beta? I hope not.......it sucked even for its time.

Do you know about XPostFacto? It's a program that helps you install OS X (any version, now including Tiger) on old unsupported machines.

Yes, the PB in those posts stands for "public beta." Note the time those posts went up - September 2000, a little over 4 1/2 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back