Amateur in the house!

voice-

Registered
Seeing as MacOSX runs UNIX and UNIX is powerful, users of Mac should be powerful. I wanna learn UNIX, so does anyone have a URL to a site where I can get instructions?

For starters you can go to the :how to" page and read the small intro to unix.
After you learn that come back for more ;)

I thought 'Learn Unix in 24 Hours' was a good book to help start out. If you don't want to pay then just look around the web for tutorials I think macosx.org still has their intro to unix tutorial up , or just read Unix forums all over the web (macosx.com, macnn.com, macaddict.com, etc.)

Thanks, that really helped...now I can move around with the terminal, but how about those documents with spaces in them? I know IE reads spaces as %20, but that didn't work, and typing cd Drop Box gt me an error message, cd too many commands.........

If you're lazy, like me, type "cd Dro" and then hit tab, the shell should then complete the string for you...and when it does, you'll see one way to put space in. It'll use a backslash: cd Drop\ Box .

You can also quote things with spaces, ie, cd "Drop Box" but that requires more typing than the backslash.

Hmmm.... yes spaces was something I omited :( sorry :(
I will rectify my omishion this weekend :) Thanks

I will be posting another UNIX tutorial with a few more useful commands
(like setting hostname, date and time in unix and so on).

I learned unix on a sunOS machine.
I used the books "Harley Hahn's student guide to unix" and "UNIX for programmers and users"

Admiral

Originally posted by AdmiralAK

I learned unix on a sunOS machine.
I used the books "Harley Hahn's student guide to unix" and "UNIX for programmers and users"

Admiral

How does Sun look? I've allways wanted to try it, but I've never even seen it(and it's a bit drastic to BUY a computer to see how it's operated)...

I bought a newton to see how it worked and have been hooked on it ;)

I learned UNIX on telnet terminal sessions actually which was just like opening the terminal in OS X.

Other than that, this year I "graduated" to using a desktop too. If you've ever used linux and GNOME, its kinda sorta like that but a little more minimalistic (the OpenWindows environament that is).

GNOME is coming to solaris by the next release as far as I know. So no need to buy a sun machine to see how the OS works.

If you have a spare PC kicking around you can get the software from sun (its free but there is a media charge of $70 because you get something like 15 CDs). There is an x86 version of the software out :)
(I have Solaris 7 loaded on VPC, sort of slow, but its nice to play around with)

Admiral

Originally posted by voice-

How does Sun look? I've allways wanted to try it, but I've never even seen it(and it's a bit drastic to BUY a computer to see how it's operated)...

I work on a Solaris machine every day. It's totally different than a Mac. It's UI is horrible but it's going to get better when GNOME comes to town. However, that's going to be a long time from now and it still won't be as nice. (According to me)

The beauty of Solaris is not it's UI, it's the stability, scalibility, and the performance. For example, Mac's work well with two processors, the machines I use at work have 64 processors. They almost never go down, and they work well with a large number or processes going at one time.

Anyway, I think they make poor desktop machines.

Back