Amazing Realization!!!! ........

Question:
<b>Do you want to make as much money as quickly as you can, or wouldn't you rather work towards establishing…</b>

Answer:

Adobe works on a broad base. $10 shareware programmers make money as quick as they can, for they eat everyday as we do.

Originally posted by xaqintosh

This is almost entirely wrong, because if the software is easy to piurate, the immoral people will pirate it rather than buying it, which they might have originally done. Therefore the company will actually lose money, cuz why pay for something when you can get it free just as easily?

I have to disagree here. I'm a Windows user living in a world where EVERYTHING can be pirated. However, when I was satisfied with XP, Office and Frontpage, I bought all three believing that I want to support a company that makes good products. I know I'll be blasted for the previous line but these three products are remarkably good compared to the sh*t released for the past few years.

So even ex-hardcore wareze'ers want to change.

Andre

Originally posted by dseltzer
Sure, some of them get pirated copies, but many, if not most want their own copy *and* the documentation, not to mention the ability to get updates. You get the idea, I'm sure.

... in the long run, the ability for people to share software, lets many people try it who otherwise wouldn't or couldn't. Those same people, if impressed with the product/s, will eventually want their own copy... their own manual, access to tech support, notification of updates, etc., etc. And they're going to tell their friends, who tell theirs... and in the long run the software maker will sell more units than they ever could have if people had no way to try the product for free.
I see 3 problems with this argument:
1) The current degradation of morality in our society. Criminal activity is more socially acceptable than ever (my impression from many sources) and this is only getting worse. soon enough, software pirates won't have their conscience nagging at them over time, causing them to pay.
2) Online/PDF documentation. Most people I know prefer a printed manual, but fewer and fewer companies provide this for free without extra cost. PDFs are just a few more files to include in the act of pirating the software, and online files are generally accessible by anyone. If not, a copy of the site will be made at some point, and the pages will be available more conveniently from your local machine. People who like printed manuals will not pay, they will just print th manual themselves.
3) Pirates won't tell their friends, they will just give the software to their friends, pirated, and the friends will appreciate this enough to continue down the path mentioned in point #1. eventually everyone will have all software they want for free, and at that time developers will get almost no $$ for anything they do, now matter how great.

Back