Amazing what deleteing prefrences can do

I noticed that lately my TextEdit was messing up. Either with opening the application or a text file. It would show up in the dock (no window ever shows up), but it would quit responding. I would have to Force Quit it. So just a few minutes ago I decided to go hunt for it's plist file.

Macintosh HD > Users > yourusername > Library > Prefrences

and delete "com.apple.textedit.plist"

Started it after that and it works great now! :)

If something like this happenend on windows they would probably suggest reinstalling the OS. Whenever one of my PC-loving friends is reformatting and reinstalling windows;
I always say:
"Formatting drive; guranteed 100% compression" :p

And on Mac; you can just delete a simple file. :)

Really? My friends just restart their computer and if it still doesn't work after that (why would it?), then they blame spyware or a virus. :p They never actually admit it's really the OS in front of me, since I have a Mac and their pride is on the line.

Reality said:
Really? My friends just restart their computer and if it still doesn't work after that (why would it?), then they blame spyware or a virus. :p They never actually admit it's really the OS in front of me, since I have a Mac and their pride is on the line.

Yep; my friends do the same. It makes me wonder... if a file is damaged, what good is restarting the computer going to do? :confused:

Back