AMD new licensee, Apple

Originally posted by terran74
No, it's not. The PowerPC in the gamecube is a special version of the G4 for embedded machines. It runs slightly cooler and doesn't have Altivec and performs special functions for the gamecube.

No, actually its a varient of the G3. The fact that it doesn't have Altivec pretty much denotes this. A G4 is a G3 with Altivec. :p It has a special instruction set to communicate with the ATI "Flipper" GPU.

Originally posted by itanium
No, actually its a varient of the G3. The fact that it doesn't have Altivec pretty much denotes this. A G4 is a G3 with Altivec. :p It has a special instruction set to communicate with the ATI "Flipper" GPU.

Uhm no. The G4 is not a variant of the G3. The G3 came from the 601 603 family of PowerPCs. It is not suitable for multiprocessing and has a smaller cache than the 604 and G4. The G4 is not just a G3 without Altivec. Altivec was added to the G4 but could have very well been added to the G3. IBM chose not to add it because they did not feel it was as important as producing a low cost low power chip which is wha the G3 is.

Make no mistake about it, The PowerPC in the Gamecube IS in fact a G4 and a variant of the G4 technology. It is a number crunching chip and much more capable of handling the overhead of large gaming worlds than a G3 would be capable of acheiving.

It is NOT and in no means similar to the G3 just because it doesn't have Altivec. That is just like saying a 604 is the same as a 603 because they don't have altivec.

I hate when people post incorrect information so here.

When Satoru Iwata, a well-known game designer who currently works at Nintendo as a creative director, was asked how the GameCube system is built, he said:
The basic design is very simple. You can divide it up into three parts: Gekko, IBM's PowerPC CPU, Flipper, ATI's graphic core, and Splash, a 24MB set of main memory. Gekko is a basic PowerPC750/G3 chip with a vector operation unit, a specialized graphic-chip interface, and a large 256K L2 cache. You see large L2 caches in the iMac and iBook nowadays, but the design we conferred with IBM on was conceived before those computers were released.

Its not a G4 and yes, the G4 is just a G3 with AltiVec, look here
You're wrong, get over it, we all make mistakes, game over! :p

Many of you are forgetting how RAM affects the speed of your computer. I remember a couple of months ago equipping my PC with more RAM, and I noticed that apps were loading and running 3 times faster than before. So it sometimes doesn't matter how fast your processor goes but how much RAM you have, like on the software packages that say "128MB RAM Recommended, 64MB needed" or "pentium class processor recommended". Sometimes it doesn't matter how fast your processor goes but how much RAM you have.

If developers can make programs manage RAM better (like Yahoo Messenger, that just eats up RAM) the programs could possibly run faster on lower class processors.

Originally posted by kommakazi
The dual processor G4 systems are a joke, have you looked at any benchmarks?[/url]

Well... you might be correct. But in my experience... the duals make a HUGE difference.

There's one giant hole I can poke in this whole theory though: AltiVec. Too much has already been moved toward AltiVec to just drop it off suddenly, major developers and the scientific community would be outraged at such an action... It is possible that AMD could aquire a liscence to it or already have...though I'm sure we would have heard about this already if they had. Any thought on this?

I have to agree...I think we might be surprised in that maybe Apple will drop Moto from the AIM and bring in AMD to produce their chips.

This could be Apple's best kept secret...Many companies have done it in the past with good suscess, even AMD. Didn't Intel originally manufacturer the 1st AMD chips?

Originally posted by itanium
As for x86 "wouldn't solve anything." If it could make my Mac as quick and responsive as a PC running Windows, then it could sure solve a whole hell of a lot.

I believe that's what we're worried about...we all know how "responsive" PCs are running Windows.

What do you need all that speed for? Can you actually tell the difference in surfing the net between a 2.4 and 3 ghz P4? Speedwise, no. The human brain isn't capable of "sensing" things that are that minute.

What do you need all that speed for? Can you actually tell the difference in surfing the net between a 2.4 and 3 ghz P4? Speedwise, no. The human brain isn't capable of "sensing" things that are that minute.

maybe not right now. but if you give me a pentium 233 vs a pentium 550, i definately can tell the difference. i dont buy a 3 ghz chip so that office opens faster now. i buy it so office opens faster in 2-3 years.

----------------------------------------
The dual processor G4 systems are a joke, have you looked at any benchmarks?[/url]
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wha? On some level, the DP machines may be considered a "joke" in the sense that the raw power is still woefulyl short of today's better PCs. I agree with that.

However, DP in general is HUGE. I have many times burned CDs, rendered video, downloaded files, browsed the web and typed a word document ALL AT THE SAME TIME. This was simply not doable in OS 9 and is really pushing your luck on an SP machine in X. DP is great and is NOT a joke. If it is, then I'm laughing all the way to the bank in productivity.

(Don't get me wrong, I still want faster CPUs and GUI).

I just bought a new 17 inch iMac about 2 months ago (I guess you could say Im a "switcher":p, however I have loved Apple for about 2 years now). Now, correct me if I'm worng, which I probably am:p, but I thought the G4 was 128-bit. So wouldn't going to 64-bit be bad? (Don't get me wrong tho, I do like the idea of AMD putting it's chips in Macs and do feel the G4 is outdated):)

Originally posted by MacLuv
Is this a comment about XP's stability?

Not stability as much as responsiveness. I don't care what version of Windows it is, they all have issues, and most are related to speed when loaded with programs. And this is a variety of computers, all good brands (not hacked bargain basement specials) like Dell, Gateway, & Compaq.

1.6ghz P4 on XP, (2) 1.3ghz Celerons on 2000Pro, 1 Dell Laptop PIII on 2000 Pro, 1.4ghz P4 on ME, (2) 866mhz PIII on 98SE (were ME), 1 PIII 1ghz on 98SE, 1 750mhz Athalon on 98. I've used these systems in the last 3 months and had issues with everyone of them. They're either located at home, the fire dept I worked at, and my current real estate office. Funny thing is on the ME and 98 machines the fix is reformating every month or two. 2000 Pro is stable, but not very responsive. XP is not worth the upgrade from 2000 Pro.

Originally posted by cf25
maybe not right now. but if you give me a pentium 233 vs a pentium 550, i definately can tell the difference. i dont buy a 3 ghz chip so that office opens faster now. i buy it so office opens faster in 2-3 years.

I bought my G3 300 used 3 years ago. 800$ with a 17" Sony monitor and alot of legal software (Quark, Photoshop, UltraDev, Office 98, etc.). I'm still using it, and it's for design. InDesign 2, Photoshop 7, Dreamweaver MX, Office X, all under OSX.

Everyone else I know who bought computers around the time I did have upgraded (CPUs) at least once. They've paid 1500$ each time. Only one of those people do anything that requires "speed" and he just upgraded for the second time. We ordered him a nice new DP 1ghz with 1g of ram...he'll probably keep this one for 3 years.

His reason for switching was after he used my "turtle" Mac...not a crash and for being 5 years old it wasn't as slow as he thought.

Originally posted by Stridder44
I thought the G4 was 128-bit.

G4 is 32 bit. Think of it this way...the computer uses a "highway" to move info. Intel & AMD use a one lane highway that's "32 bit" wide. Apple was "selling" theirs using a 4-lane highway with "32 bit" wide lanes. That's were the 128 bit thing came for.

I wish the DP 1ghz and 1.25ghz machines were 128 bit, we'd all have killer machines for intense number crunching.

When I started using Macs they crushed the Intel and AMD chips. Now they're slower, but they still have a better OS which is stable and well designed. You can have a 3ghz P4 on M$, I'll keep my G3 300mhz on X...it works. The 1ghz Ti I just ordered should be even nicer...we'll see.

Back