AMD's Newest Licensee Is Officially Apple!

kendall

Registered
"As Hector Ruiz's keynote this morning at Comdex drew to a close, he invited Jon Rubinstein, Apple's senior vice president of Hardware Engineering on stage and welcomed Apple Computer as AMD's newest lisencee.

Rubinstien was quoted as saying, "while specific details will not be discussed today about our collaboration with AMD, expect great things from this partnership in the upcomming year and more information to be made available at MWSF.""

64-bit x86 Hammer technology here we come! :D

More can be found here.

**edit** Sorry, someone I know (a PC user :mad: ) IM me this and I got excited and posted it here without verifying it. The link's URL was supposed to end in #22 but that still only brings up an unrelated Apple article. Anyway, as far as I know, AMD didn't announce any new lisencees. **edit**

well, this might not necessarily mean that Apple is switching for x86-processors, but instead share technology with AMD, where both parties would benefit most of their know-how...

Your link didn't work. If your link was supposed to be http://www.amdzone.com/#2 instead of http://www.amdzone.com/22, then Hector Ruiz's keynote was referred to but there was no mention of Apple (unless I'm missing something?):

"Rob and I just got out of the Hector Ruiz keynote and after Q and A. Real quickly here are some key points.

Athlon XP 64-Clawhammer desktop name confirmed
Slash and Gibson digital guitars
power company business win with nForce powered Compaqs
Hammer wafer yields over 50% a month ago
64 bit Unreal demoed
400MHZ FSB nForce 2 demo, possibly new bus speed
IBM DB2 Opteron demo
Star Wars previsualization on Athlons"

Have you got any other links with more information? All the standard Mac rumor sites seem rather downbeat after the keynote, which I wouldn't expect if there had been a major revelation.

:confused:

your link gives a page not found error. and none of the reprots from members include anything about apple. :confused:

I hope this isn't some kind of joke. I can't find anything relating to the quotes displayed in the post above on any site, including the rumor sites which are usually on top of things like this. Hopefully this will be cleared up soon! I'm going crazy here wondering if this John Rubi thing actually happened. :eek:

My guess is that somebody is messing around with Itanium's account. He doesn't usually give false information out... There's NOTHING like this in the keynote news. You'd read about it even on zdnet.com or news.com by now. :/

Erhm... That Hit/Miss rate you mention for Steve Jobs, do you count Apple as a Hit or a Miss? The company is alive and well, you know. Or do you only count AFTER a project or company has died? Because then EVERYbody would get only misses. :p

But it's good that you won't discuss these matters, like you say, because like that I can say whatever I want in this thread without you interfering again.

I personally think Apple is much stronger now than it was before Steve came back. The Spindler era is over, the Amelio disaster is over: Steve Jobs is back and Apple hasn't only revamped its image, they also - again - started to innovate the computer industry. And I think that's a good thing.

All you're saying is that Apple uses slower processors than what AMD and Intel have to offer. Well, yes. But a) processor speed isn't everything and b) believe me: Apple is going to do something about it.

But just go ahead and try to kick Steve out of Apple. I don't think it's a good idea, but you might as well try. I just don't know what exactly the options are. Apple without Steve Jobs is a bit like orange juice without oranges. (Oh, I'm comparing Apples with Oranges! Wow!)

I don't think AMD X86-64 is the way to go for Apple. It's an option. But that today wasn't the day chosen for such an announcement doesn't rule it out completely, and that's not THAT bad a thing, I guess.

And I just had my hopes high...
I can't find anything anywhere about AMD's new licensee though, which is a bit strange, because they were supposed to announce one... I can find no mention of it anywhere.

there is no new licensee. the chain went like that:

many apple people on comdex -> amd keynote -> mmh? -> maybe apple licenses amd processors -> unlikely -> maybe somebody else will? -> okay, somebody will license amd processors.

the rumours were just wrong.

but to be a bit reasonable... imagine apple/amd had announced something like that today... do you think apple's just introduced powerbooks and ibooks would still have sold well? what about the powermacs and imacs?

apple would never allow such an announcement to be made without also announcing new products based on that chip announcement.

a (total) switch to another processor platform will be a very difficult move. and it will be apple announcing it. not some third party provider of just a part of the product.

I read in the newspaper in August about a possible Apple/AMD alliance and one thing caught my attention , because it would be so nice if it would come true!!

The possibility of new macs using an x86 processor, with Mac OS X converted to x86 (but they say apple would probably won't let ANY x86 use mac os x, and that the computers using x86 running os x would be apple-branded)
but the coolest thing is it might run Windows OS'es as well as Mac OS X ! That would own, switch to Windows for games/kazaa'ing, mac os x for.... anything else!

AMD is not going to make x86 Processors !!!

AMD is going to make PPC processsors with RISC APPlLE IS NOT GOING FOR X86 !!!

AHHRRGGGGGG I becomming mad about this !!!

AMD was making in the beginning of the company RISC prossecors !!!!

STUPID STUPID STUPID RUMORS ABOUT APPLE GOING TO X86....

I personaly believe that AMD is going to make PPC processors, i dont know what is going to happen with motorola and IBM maybe a alience ? withe these three companies ? i dont know. But it doesnt make sence that apple is going to drop their PPC structure. PPC is Apple ... Sorry about the post above :) no hard feelings.

Back