American Phone Number...

senne

Registered
Hi, I've had a call this morning by this number: +1 511 8769727 I was not at home, so I couldn't pick up the phone.

+1 means that it's a call from America, Canada, Jamaica or some other small countries that are in relation with the USA. It's kind of strange that I have a call from abroad, so probably he/she has dialed the wrong number...

So far my mysterious phone adventure.. But I still want to know from where this call was! Does somebody here knows from where in America, or from any other country, this phonecall could have been? I think 511 is the area code, but a Google search says it's a 'Nationwide travel information' number. But why would they call somebody in Belgium!?

Well, thanks in advance!

senne

senne said:
a Google search says it's a 'Nationwide travel information' number. But why would they call somebody in Belgium!?

Yup...511 is an abbreviated dialing code used here in the US for regional travel information or traffic information.

Abbreviated Dialing Codes (N11)
  • 211: Assigned for community information and referral services
  • 311: Assigned nationwide for non-emergency police and other government services
  • 411: Unassigned, but used virtually nationwide by carriers for directory assistance
  • 511: Assigned for traffic and transportation information
  • 611: Unassigned, but used broadly by carriers for repair service
  • 711: Assigned nationwide for access to Telecom Relay Services
  • 811: Unassigned, but used by local exchanged carriers for business office use
  • 911: Unassigned, but used nationwide for emergency services

Since it's an abbreviated dialing code, it's impossible to be also used as an area code. In fact they'll never be any N11 number used as an area code because of the ADC system in place. 011 and 111 aren't viable for obvious reasons (beginning of international numbers, & long distance numbers).

So whomever called you spoofed their number. If they return the call some other time and you can, record it and pass the information along to your national authorities—or just laugh at them and hang-up, then forget about it.

Back