An iBook on a Novell Netware network *shudder*

Hypernate

McGeek
When I get my iBook, I would find it REALLY useful to connect it to my school network, which is a Windows 2000/XP network, runing with Novell.

I don' t so much need the file sharing access, as just printers and internet. I am pretty sure I can get the printer access by just connecting to the printer server (\\wesley\printer\library_oce_1) (does that look right for a printer server?) but the Internet is harder, because we need Novell CLient Trust running for it to connect. Is there a way to get this function on Jaguar? My admins have basically told me that they hate macs, I should buy a Windows machine, and that macs are incapable of doing anything. At this point I lost all faith in out IT department ;)

Thanks.

that's kinda weird cause I have a Novell network at school too and I don't need a novell client to acces the internet. And I COULD get to printers as you suggested, but the wifi network is on a different subnetwork and kept isolated from the wired network with the printers.

There is a Novell client available for mac OS X, but you have to pay like $100 for it, give me a sec to find the link.

http://www.prosoftengineering.com/products/netware_client_x.php

well not the link, I'm new to these forums, sry.

It also depends on the Netware version. My school runs Netware 5.1 currently and they are testing Red Hat Linux (he he)

If your school runs Netware 6 or above(if there is an above) then it may be something new in Novell's software that i don't know about. but typically all you need is for the DHCP server to assign you a gateway address for the border router(the router out to the Internet)

you should have lost faith in your IT department because they are UNWILLING to help, I'm sure no one said "Let me do some research and get back with you" idiots.

I hope this helps a little.

Follow these three easy steps:
  1. Screw the IT department.
  2. Connect your iBook to the network.
  3. Let OS X do the rest.[/list=1]
    If that doesn't work, come back here for more help.

I'm with Arden.

Novell does not issue IP addresses so somewhere else there is a Windows or UNIX (or even Mac!!:p ) server that is hosting DHCP.
Set your network prefs to AUTOMATIC on TCP/IP and you will get an address. That takes care of the internet.

Most printers nowadays have AppleTalk active on their ethernet hardware. Go to Add printer and you will see a list of printers on the network. If the IT dept. hate Macs so much they won't have renamed them, so you will probably see HP Laserjet, HP Laserjet 1, HP Laserjet 2 etc. Go to the printer you want to use and get it to print out a confiiguration page - that will tell you the AppleTalk name and the IP address of the printer so that just in case they have actively disabled the AppleTalk protocol on the network, you can still print to the printer using its IP address.

Novell client is only required on a Mac if you want to access the Netware volumes and the files stored there.

When will IT staff realise that Macs are better for their users as there is less to configure, no drivers to install etc. etc. and therefore it is also better for them as there is less work required on their part to support it!

Originally posted by Jabberwocky
I'm with Arden.

Novell does not issue IP addresses so somewhere else there is a Windows or UNIX (or even Mac!!:p ) server that is hosting DHCP.
Set your network prefs to AUTOMATIC on TCP/IP and you will get an address. That takes care of the internet.

As much as I hope that works, I don't know... I mean, some times, when we go into Internet Explorer, *shudder* it goes to a Novell error page and says "Could not connect because you are not logged in!" then the little Novell Client Trust icon appears in the task bar, and then we can use the net.

How am I going to get Novell to log me into the Internet? Will I have to have my short username as my school username? Or am I going to have to buy some Novell software?

I really with the IT guys at school would give me some help.

OK, that sounds like they are running the proxy service of BorderManager and forcing access through it only to authenticated users.

Daft.

If their network is secure, then why would they need users to authenticate on the proxy server to get out??

Sadly, I think you are going to require assistance from the ingrates in IT. If they give you any more sh..t about Macs, you can mention that every other school, corporation and even ISP in the world does not have this problem. We have Netware & BorderManager and I would need to authenticate to get IN from outside, but we don't authenticate to get out. And I suppose if they are still being difficult, go above them to the department head, or even the principal.

Can you actually try any of this yet, or do you have to wait for school to start?

I've actually gotta wait till I GET my iBook. *grins sheepishly*

I can't buy it until I sell my bass guitar. But it shouldn't be long now.

ANd yes, it IS BorderManager that they use.

So, what kind of stuff am I going to need to find out from them, or what kind of stuff do they need to do, so that I can argue their, "Sorry, we don't know anything about macs, we only deal with computers" crap.

This should have all the ammunition you need. Read through as much of it as you can, and try to come up with arguments that support your point, whether it be that they switch everything to Mac or simply support the occasional Mac addict like you.

Thanks to whoever posted this before! There's a lot of info there, and it's quite useful.

Originally posted by arden
This should have all the ammunition you need. Read through as much of it as you can, and try to come up with arguments that support your point, whether it be that they switch everything to Mac or simply support the occasional Mac addict like you.

Thanks to whoever posted this before! There's a lot of info there, and it's quite useful.

What a surprise... we have a FastScout internet monitor thing on the net here, and it's blocking that site :p I'll have to go look at it at home.

There's no chance I can get the school to change over to macs. They just bought 3 computer labs worth of Dulls. They are ALL crap. The ones we use for Photoshop in photography can't handle the 35mb files I use, let alone the 200mb ones that I need to deal with sometimes.

My school actually used to use Macs. And we were apparently going to be going with Apple... but then the admins decided that PCs would be better.

(Due to this, all the teachers bought Macs, and are angry with the school. Heheh... ) HMm... now I'm ranting..

Well, if you have the paper (and you'd need a lot of paper for this), print out that website and distribute it to your IT staff or whoever decides on the school's platform. You just might convince someone.

Back