An Interesting PHP Problem...

Dris

The Benevolent
I've been looking around the web and thinking about it, but I can't find the solution, though I know it's there somewhere.

Here's the problem. I've got a string, and let's say it contains the contents of an article on the site. I want to generate a preview of the article by getting the first 400 characters and displaying them followed by a "Read More" link.

That's easy enough. But the problem is, the article contains HTML. I need to know how to:

- Avoid splitting tags in half at the end of the preview, eg "Blah blah blah <a hre". That's bad.

- Close up any tags that remain open, eg "Blah blah <em>bla"...Notice that <em> is never closed.

I know there's a way to do this, because I've seen sites that do it. Anyone have any ideas?

I don't know the specific code to accomplis this (I don't speak PHP), but why don't you change all the carats to comment tags? Basically, just find a way to put an opening comment tag in front of every < and a closing comment tag behind every >. Like I said, I don't know the specifics of how to accomplish this, but if you comment out all the HTML tags you should be left with straight text.

Well, I'm already using strip_tags until I find a real solution to the problem. (arden, this is essentially what strip_tags solves). But my problem isn't getting rid of the tags. The problem is getting the first 400 characters of a string and making sure that no HTML was messed up in the process (ie, not splitting the string in the middle of a tag, and making sure that no tags remained open).

you'll have you count all the
<'s
then count all the >'s
and if you have 11 <'s
and if you have 10 >'s
then you need to go until you find the next >
so you change 400 to 410, or 412, or 398

it's not that hard.

Hi you can use this works fine
function cutting($news)

{

$cut = 400;