Analog video to a Mac

Tommo

Registered
Does anybody know af a USB analog video converter that will work under OSX. I need to import some old VHS videos for conversion to DVD ?

I believe that the belkin usb 11 will work via final cut,
I will be hooking it up over the next day or so under osx(to do the same thing) and will let u know - the belkin is in the cheap end of analog capture ($100) and under os9 dropped the odd frame at 30fps

Going to Apple's Made4Mac, I found several options for you.

ADVC110 by Canopus Co., Ltd.
Datavideo DAC-100 Analog to Digital Video Converter by Datavideo Corporation
DFG/1394-1 Analog to FireWire Video Converter by The Imaging Source
Pinnacle Movie Box DV by Pinnacle Systems Inc.
Pinnacle Studio MovieBox DV by Pinnacle Systems Inc.
Synchrotech DAC-100 FireWire Digital/Analog Video Capture-Converter by Synchrotech, Inc.
USB Instant DVD for Mac by ADS Technologies
AME USB Video Grabber with Stereo Audio - S-912 by AME Optimedia Technology Co., Ltd.

And I did not go through the entire list.

tommo, does it have to be USB? 1.1 or 2.0? I don't think that usb 1.1 has the bandwidth to do a good quality video with sound. usb 2 or firewire would be best. I have the canopus ADVC1394 (internal PCI) and it works great.

I heard a couple years ago that the pinacole ones had a hard time at keeping long videos synced with video and sound. they might have resolved that by now though.

It is an E-Mac and as I have not encountered one before I assume it is USB 1, but I stand to be corrected.

How old is the eMac? If you bought it after April, 2004 then you have USB 2. The only thing that I can tell a difference with the four eMacs released is the Hard Drive Bus. The latest one is Ultra ATA 100. The older three models are Ultra ATA 66. Processor speed between each model overlaps.

What was the original OS version on it when you got it? That will tell exactly what model you have.

if i remember right all the eMacs had firewire, so that is the way i would suggest to go instead of USB. even if it is usb 2 i would still go with firewire, personally.

I just got the Canopus ADVC300 as an early gift.

The image quality is jaw-dropping, I never dreamed old VHS recordings could be so beautifully digitized. If quality is your top priority, look no further.

Alas, the price is also kind of jaw-dropping...

Brian - I have a ADVC 300 too! Had to by my own though - man, someone must really like you and/or you were VERY good this year! Man it is awesome isn't it! :) It's 3D filters and real time correction is pretty impressive - how do they do it? :)

Yes, it's $500 ish tag is steep, but Canopus has plenty of lower end units for around $100 ish that will work great. I had a Dazzle and compared that to a ADVC 100 and the ADVC was better - image quality. Canopus makes pro gear too - for consumer AD I would give them the highest rating over anyone else.

I also have a question on this thread that Jeffo raised - why USB? I thought USB video capture was for those unfortunate PC people who don't get firewire for free?

Back