Ancient NeXTology (Shakespeare)...

marmoset

Official Volunteer
Way back when the original NeXT cubes were released, with the magneto-optical disc (and no HD, btw), I remember one of the early things they bragged about was including the complete works of Shakespeare on the MO disk. Does anyone who's as old & crusty as I am remember what format that content was in? Was it a collection of RTF files, or in a database, or what? Does anyone have an old cube with that content available? I'd love to take a look at it...

The last version that came with the collective works of William Shakespeare was NEXTSTEP 3.0. The oldest version I have is 3.2, but I only use NEXTSTEP 3.3 and OPENSTEP 4.2 because those were the only versions Apple released patches for. My guess was that it was in RTFD, and was accessable from the BookShelf.app (it has been 8 years since the last time I saw version 3.0 or earlier).

I also miss the Webster.app, which was great! I do have both the collective works of William Shakespeare and complete Sherlock Holmes in HTML form on my Rhapsody ThinkPad. You can still get the NEXTSTEP 3.0 CD at Black Hole, Inc., though I don't know if it is the NeXT or Intel version (or how to get anything off it if your not installing it).

Attachments

• webster.jpg
    webster.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 23
Wow! That webster.app looks like it'd be really useful. Any idea if it'd run in Mac OS X since it is a .app?

Unfortunately, it can't. Some developers actually tried to get it to run on Rhapsody without any luck. The thing is, Apple has the source code for it, so getting it to run in Mac OS X would be fairly straight forward for them, I just have no idea why they haven't done it.

Omni made an online replacement for it for Mac OS X, but it still not as nice as having it all on your system.

Back