And 85 is FINAL?!

kanecorp

Registered
Okay so i installed 85, when i'm in the finder (desktop...in the finder windows) and i righit click, finder crashes. Can't do it at all. I have to click on the folder or item and click the action button to use the right click function. I can't beleive it! What a joke!

It better NOT be the GM! The reason is it doesn't support nVidia GeForce 2MX cards! These cards shipped with 533MHz G4s I believe, so you would hope they are going to support that card, or nVidia comes out with different drivers for it. My card isn't stock, and is actually a flashed PC card, but I have read reports of other people with the same problems, so it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that it's been flashed.

I have the Geforce 2mx (apple card) and it runs like a charm.
Don't know what issues you were refering to...
Another problem I have come across though, is the fact that my sound volume is constant. I can change it, but it doesn't affect the output... Only sound off affects the volume.

Originally posted by wtmcgee
sounds like you've pinpointed the problem right there.

No I haven't. As I said in the rest of my post, I have read about this happening to other people with non-flashed cards on xlr8yourmac.com's forums, and recently, on the Apple student developers mailing list. Maybe Apple is only supporting Apple branded(sold with the computer) GeForce 2MX cards.. I don't know what the difference is between the PC and Mac version besides the ROM. All it has on the back is a VGA port, so it's nothing special. Not even DVI or anything.

ghazban:
What type of computer do you have? I have a G4 400MHz. It might be that the GeForce 2MX is only supported on newer computers.

if this problem has been around like forever in panther, i'd start to bug apple about it...

Oh, I have bugged them a number of times;)

Every few builds I've sent a bug report saying UH HELLO YOU STILL HAVEN'T FIXED THIS APPLE! Well, not exactly like that :D

I did say I wouldn't buy it if they didn't fix it by the GM, but I suspect I will anyways and have to buy a different vid card::evil::

This has been a problem since the WWDC seed, and is still there in 7B85, the supposed GM:(

I installed 85 on my machine at work, lots of weird problems:

It won't see one of my hard drives. That is, it will see it, but won't mount it. No errors in Disk Utilty, no console errors - just click on "mount" and it won't see it. Of course, that also means that I can't boot back to it unless I boot off a Jag CD and select a boot volume from there.

Random hangs - no kernel panics, just hangs - even mouse cursor freezes. Didn't have this problem in Panther, and this was a fresh install on its own drive - I haven't even loaded any 3rd party software yet except MS Remote Desktop Client and ICA Client.

Address book won't sync with exchange, though as far as I can tell everything should be working.

Bluetooth sync with my Nokia 3650 with iSync is spotty.

Finder's "live find" feature still doesn't always find files! No explanation for this one - if I search for "temp", for example, it won't find all files with "temp" in the name, even a dir called "temp"!

Not so much a bug, but iCal STILL doesn't sync with Exchange, and its ability to sync with other progs is really no ability at all. (Manually export/import each item as vCards or ICalendar entries? Come on), which means it's useless to me. Too bad, I really like iCal otherwise.

Don't take this the wrong way, but your problems give me hope that this is not the GM ;)

Yeah, I want Panther to be released soon, but not with a bunch of obvious bugs.

hopefully you reported the bugs... that's the only way 10.3 will turn out truly polished.

Originally posted by Ripcord
I installed 85 on my machine at work, lots of weird problems:

It won't see one of my hard drives. That is, it will see it, but won't mount it. No errors in Disk Utilty, no console errors - just click on "mount" and it won't see it. Of course, that also means that I can't boot back to it unless I boot off a Jag CD and select a boot volume from there.

Random hangs - no kernel panics, just hangs - even mouse cursor freezes. Didn't have this problem in Panther, and this was a fresh install on its own drive - I haven't even loaded any 3rd party software yet except MS Remote Desktop Client and ICA Client.

Address book won't sync with exchange, though as far as I can tell everything should be working.

Bluetooth sync with my Nokia 3650 with iSync is spotty.

Finder's "live find" feature still doesn't always find files! No explanation for this one - if I search for "temp", for example, it won't find all files with "temp" in the name, even a dir called "temp"!

Not so much a bug, but iCal STILL doesn't sync with Exchange, and its ability to sync with other progs is really no ability at all. (Manually export/import each item as vCards or ICalendar entries? Come on), which means it's useless to me. Too bad, I really like iCal otherwise.

Back