And the web slowly degrades. Welcome to the anti-pop-up pop-up.

Jadey

sosumi
I use Omniweb with automatic pop-up windows disabled. We also run a pop-up ad killer on the PC. But now, the spammers of the web have decided to strike back with the anti-pop-up pop-up. Visit:

http://daoc.warcry.com

with a pop-up killer on - and you get... a pop-up! This one tells you to disable pop-up ads, and you can't see the site without it. They whine that they can't run the site without this pop-up revenue, so you can't look at it. Not to mention, if they can run a pop-up anyway when you have a pop-up killer on, why don't they just make a pop-up with their ad?

*Sigh* when are advertisers going to learn that the best way to make money is not to annoy the heck out of potential customers?

My experience with pop-ups has mostly been either:
1. tons of pop-up windows that completely hang my browser
2. pop-up windows that are set to load behind my browser. If I click to bring it to the front, it goes back behind - so how can I read it to find out if I want what they're advertising anyway?

Point #1 is particularly frustrating. The best way to ensure I don't buy your junk is to make a web site that freezes explorer. I don't get the point of #2.

Sure web sites need revenue to run. I don't mind banner ads, I even click 'em from time to time. Invasive-browser freezing advertising though makes me go -> :mad:

How'd you get OmniWeb to stop all pop-ups? I only got it to not show what's in the pop-ups using the privacy settings...

In JavaScript Preferences, "Scripts are allowed to open new windows" and there's 3 settings. I have mine set to "only in response to a link being clicked". If you don't want them at all, set this to "never".

Actually, if you disable JavaScript entirely, you can access the site. Wow, very effective. :p

OmniWeb actually, for some reason, redirects you to http://localhost/ after going there, but you can click the back button and enter the site.

I do agree with you, though, Jadey, in that it's totally pointless to have a pop-up against anti-pop-up browsers, without just displaying an ad in that pop-up. Sheesh, what geniuses.

... total idiots. that's the kind of thing that makes me not want to see their site ... *sigh* how stupid can the web get?

ok, let's say that people interested in pop-up windows surely do not do these things for nothing, so when I find these curious "invisible" pop ups I get scared. Why are these people so interested in money spending their time in developing these apparently idiotic things? there must be a reason (or the stupidity level is becoming really to high) and I don't think this reason has anything to do with MY interests. It has suresly something to do with their interests... but which?

one thing is sure, the advertising companies are very interested in personal informations, and simple things like your name or what sites you usually visit become important. Opening a window you can't close is a little way to spy you, to see what you're doing (that's the more realistig guess i can get, since it is evident that they don't want to show you something!).

by the way if you use Opera you are able to make these "invisible" windows active and then to close them.

And these people expect us to go to their site... interesting strategey.

Lets piss them off so they come here more.

I use netscape, given that I am in classic at the moment. It kills most pop ups since most places are windows centric and use windows centric javascript lol. When I use IE (cringe) its pop up hell :p

I hate ppop ups :mad:

I've been using OmniWeb and Mozilla almost exclusively, and have both configured to disallow popups.
On the garbage WinNT 4.0 network that I use to access the Internet at work, popups are rampant. Very annoying!
Just guessing here, but it seems like there should be a setting to block popups even on the Windows version of Internet Exploiter that I'm stuck with...
But I'm not an administrator on this machine.
:rolleyes:

There's no setting within Explorer itself for Mac or Windows. There are many 3rd party solutions for Explorer under Windows. We've used: Pop-UP Cop and WebWasher. WebWasher is available for Mac (classic) as well.

Okay, now I just have to convince the sysadmin here that such a program is necessary...
:p

P.S. Eeek, Jadey! Your response has the Number of the Beast!
;)

666? hehehe... there is no devil (in my opinion) just a character made up to scare little kids into be good little boys and girls. then everyone started to believe it.

about pop-ups... if you go to a lot of design sites... people use (large) pop-ups for portfolio sites. you know what I am talking about?

I use Netscape 6.2 and it stays at the page while it's still loading - once done it redirects me to localhost - and I'll be danged if I can get back to the site! It even disapears from my back and forward buttons!

I have to type the site name and get trigger-happy with the stop button to stay there!

I end up totally avoiding sites like that!

I'll be danged when a website controlls what I see and what I do not see! :mad:

Not to mention the countless badly designed websites that totally disapear when using Netscape!

Back