Animated gifs

fmcbmc

Registered
Does anybody Know how to deal with animated gifs in mac?

I mean , I am a new mac user both with macos X and with classic, before (and still now ) I was a windows user, I arribe to macosx due Macos X and I really love it, the only problem that I found in my transcition is that normaly I used to recive a lot of mails thah contain animated gifs in the message and in a PC I could see this gifs in action at whatever email cient I use (outlook express, eudora, basically is what I used in pc), but since I have changed to mac I can't seen the animated gif in movement in the message I have tried in classic with eudora and with outlook express or entourage , but I was only succesfully one time with outlook express (I could see them in movement) , but I wasn't able to repeat again, now I'm triying in Entourage X but I have no succes I see only the frist frame of the animated gif in the mail, but not the animation itself.
In mac I only see the animated gif in movement in the web browser, but not in the mail client , does anybody Know how to see the gifs in movement in the mail client too?

Thank you a lot for your time.

Don;t know i this helps, but check that your e-mails are in HTML format (options/ HTML). This should allow all of the same rules as a browser displayed page.

Yes my e-mail is in the html option and I can see all the items of a message, like flims and other images, the only problem is that if the message contains an animated gif I only see the frist frame of the animation, but with the same programs in PC I could see the gif in movement, not only the frist frame of the animation, does anybody Know how to see the animation? ( I known that is posible because i have seen it, but i don't Know how to set it or what is the clue to make it works)

Thank you.

Yes with my browser ( I use IE and netscape) i could see all the frames of the image, but with the mail client i couldn't.

At least we know that it's your email client with the problem and not the animated GIFs themselves that are being sent. Although slim, the possibility that the GIFs were created for Windows only was there.

Too bad that you can't get it working, but how essential is it to view animated gifs in your browser anyway? If one doesn't work, couldn't you just take a look at it in your browser?

Thanks a lot,
I will keep triying to find the clue to see the animated gifs in the mail client, the fact is that I usualy recieve mails with animated gifs as a part of the message and it was nice to see its gifs in movement in the mail, and while I was a PC user I see the mails in this way (whatever mail clent I use), since I had became a mac user I couldn't see the gifs in movement in the mail client, I only have seen it one time, but I don't Know whats is the clue, let me explain it: I began ussing Outlook 5.02 spanish edition in OS 9 and I couldn't see the gifs in movement in the mail, a friend of me tell me that he had seen the gifs in movement ussing outllok expres 5.02 english edition and I tried and "it works" ( I could see one of this mails with animated gifs with the gifs in movement), but only one time, next time I use the program it stops working and I don't Know why, since now I have triyed with many programs (Eudora, etc) that I have used in his PC edition and that ussing in a PC I could see the gif in movement, but with the same program in the macintosh edition I couldn't see the gif in movement, so i thought that it was a problem of general configuration about something related of how the mac deal with the animated gifs, and due that I have seen it working I known that is not impossible, the only point is that i don't known what is the clue to make it works, now I have stop of ussing OS 9 and I'm working with OS X but with the same problem thah in classic whatever program I use ( I have tried with Mail.app, Entourage X, Eudora 5.1 MacosX edition) I couldn't see the gif in movement, for me could be nice to see the gifs in movement in the mail, but I think I could survive without it, if somebody have the same problem and finally found the clue I would apreciate a lot his/her help

Thank a lot for all

This is exactly my question! Did you learn whether it's possible to view animated gifs in e-mail using Entourage X?

It's possible that all the previously listed email programs do not support animation within the gifs.

This feature is easy to turn off within any web browser, I'm sure the same could be said for the HTML rendering engine within a mail client. Unfortunately these settings may not be available to us end users.

Check your mail program prefs to see if there is the option to view animation within gifs.

Sorry hekate I unfortunately still don't know how to see animated gifs in Entourage X, I guess that maybe It is a matter of How is the messague sent because I have 2 or 3 mails in with I see the animated gif in mocvement in Entourage X but the rest of the mails i couldn't see the gif in movement. I hope that some day the guys of microsoft realise that and make a good program.

If you could find what is the clue I will be very glad if you could tell me.

I found that in Entourage X, for some e-mails with gifs (but maybe not all), if you select Message > Redirect, and then just hit return when you're prompted for the redirect address, the still gifs become animated. ???

Thanks, Rhino_G3, I'll try making another pass through the preferences options.

Back