annoying ._abcdsgk invisible files

Status
Not open for further replies.

eliezer

Registered
when i move things onto my usb stick and then view them on a pc, i always see ._dsafgx files that i didn't see when the usb was plugged into my g5. i get the same problem with my se w800.

how do i get rid of these annoying files!!!!??????

thanks in advance

The ._ files are put there by finder and are used to hold information about the device for finder.

I don't believe you can tell finder to not write these files, but you can just set permissions on the device to read only (if you don't write to it from the mac) then it won't write that everytime you plug it in.

The problem is that there is metadata associated with the files on the mac, things like icons are the simplest example. There is no way to natively store that data in the PC format used on the USB drive so it is being encoded in those ._ files. I do not know how to make them go away in general, except you can blow them away in the terminal I guess. In most cases it won't matter but some older carbon applications won't survive that.

Sorry for the non-answer there may be some better suggestions.

i found the answer:

use the applescript: "WinFSCleanser" (you can get it from versiontracker)

just double click on it, choose the volume you want to clean and then click OK... and it gets rid of the ._ files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back