Annoying "feature" of iDisk

rinse

www.visualrinse.com
I hate the WebDAV protocol for use on my iDisk.... it just makes the whole process clunky and slow... (yes, i am on a dialup.... my dsl is supposed to be here soon though ;) )

So I have to use the "Connect To Server" command, and the navigation window to select it as AFP://idisk.mac.com...

What I want is the ability to choose how my iDisk connects to the server via the "iDisk" menu command...

anyone know this?

WebDav was a step forward? Hmmm... step sideways is more like it. :mad:

when the dsl arrives, you should be much happier. while still not like connecting to a local disk, it is pretty quick and wait time is reasonable considering the potential amount of data being transferred. i know if something's not almost instantaneous on my dsl, it must be h*ll on a dial up !!

I'm on DSL and the iDisk is very very slow. It's just as slow via WebDav as it is through AppleTalk. It's just the volume of people accessing the servers. It's great once you get your files up there, but uploading and just listing a directory can be like trying to install Windows sometimes!

But I do agree with what you said, AppleTalk and WebDAV should be choices. WebDAV is suposed to be superior, and a big open source step forward, but I'm old skoo and like AppleTalk :)

I'm on DSL and iDisk is also really really slow. There's no reason it shouldn't be as fast as interarchy & FTP is there?

i'd bet it probably is that fast. have you ever dug around and seen all the crap that apple loads on by default before you ever start using your 20mb worth? i generally get my idisk icon on my desktop in about 5-10 seconds. (remember to click on desktop to refresh it). so maybe my dsl isn't so bad after all if you guys take any longer.
dricci may have a point about the server load, because i normally don't even try to access till after 11 pm pst when i get to my play time.

so i just ran it to try and see what was going on with the guy who can't acces his, and it took a little longer than normal for me - about 20 secs but finder opened window, didn't have to click on desktop. (i guess you can see how often i really use it, huh?)

I'm on a T1 line, and my iDisk is... tolerable. It's about as fast as a floppy used to be.

I'm not quite sure how WebDAV is a step forward... except for the fact that you can supposedly use your iDisk in Windows now, by making it a Windows "Web Folder" or something like that...

Just to throw in my $.02

I've got a cable modem at home (at least until excite@home totally shuts down ;)) and my iDisk is barely tolerable. Oddly enough, when I access it from my Win 98 machine at work (T1 line) it is dang fast. Almost as fast as my LAN access.

Accessing an iDisk from windows is dramatically faster... I tried it a few minutes ago. Switching folders took a blink. On my computer (sage iMac with dsl) there is a several second lag (2-3 seconds min) doing anything with idisk.

Why is this?

this windows thing is a real puzzler. i know i checked out the time of connection factor last night and it really effects it. I tried using my idisk at about 8 pm pst and it was sooo slooooow just like you guys said. I finally had to end the connection to get out of the spininng ball just opening a folder. I tried again at about midnight and it worked like it always has for me. quick load, easy folder access. reasonable upload time. about like a floppy as adambyte said.

so of those who are accessing with windows, is there anybody who can try it both ways (mac & windows) during the same time frame?

iDisk is very slow on my 768k DSL and is not much better on a T1 that I have access to at work. I really don't think that connection speed matters that much. If you monitor the amount of traffic coming in, it is just trickling in.
iDisk also doesn't accurately reflect the state of copying files to or from it either. I only know the transfer has started because I can see it in NetMonitor. Then right at the end, the Finder progress window appears and the transfer has finished.

slightly off-topic maybe, does idisk on a mac use any sort of caching on AFP, WebDAV, or the various methods of connections available through the "Connect to Server" command?

File Types / Creators, Information, Icons? Not sure how to explain myself fully here.

Back