Annoying Tiger Sounds

Alright, what do you mean by system exactly?

I've checked both libraries via User>Library, and Hard Disk>Library.

Wrong folders. Hard Disk -> System -> Library -> Components

It's there. I promise.

Oh, and Spotlight isn't set to find stuff in /System, so it wouldn't turn up in a search.

Hey!

I have always had this box unchecked from the day i bought my machine with Panther.
But after I installed Tiger, OSX started playing these really annoying sounds whenever I do anything, BUT with the box still unchecked.

Hva i helvette should I do to get rid of these sounds?
Any suggestions?

cockneygeezer said:
The MacOS X 'sounds' can be switched off.

Goto

1. System Preferences
2. Sound
3. Sound Effects
4. Uncheck the "Play user interface sound effects"

Hope it helps:)

I have tried to check, close, uncheck, close.
I tried check, restart, uncheck restart once more. No effect.

It just seems like Tiger is ignoring my checkbox.

If there isn't any other way, I guess I'll have to make a 'silent' sound and put it in the folder...

Drit :(

Darkshadow said:
Try checking it then unchecking it again - that should get it to notice that you don't want the sounds.

Hmm, well after a little searching, I found where the preference is kept.

Your Home Folder -> Library -> Preferences -> ByHost -> .GlobalPreferences.UUID.plist (UUID is a unique set of numbers that identifies your computer, so I couldn't post that part of the name)

There's an option named com.apple.sound.uiaudio.enabled. Set that to false and it should shut the interface sounds off.

The plist file is saved in the binary form, so you can't edit it with a text editor. There's a few ways you can set this. If you have the developer tools, you can use the Property List Editor application to open it up. I have an application named Pref Setter that will also work (app is free). Click the link in my sig if you want to try it out.

You can also use the defaults command in the terminal. To set it, you would do this:

defaults write ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/.GlobalPreferences.UUID com.apple.sound.uiaudio.enabled -bool false

Note that you don't add the .plist extension when you're using the defaults command.

You may need to log out and then back in before the changes take effect (for any of the above methods of changing the property).

Back