anonymous ftp access restrictions

jechter

Registered
i have set up an anonymous ftp server on my mac to share some of my files to the public. i have created an ftp user, set up an ftp directory with the required subdirectories, etc. all the files in the ftp directory belong to myself. i had set up the files and subdirectories in the ~ftp/pub directory as rwxr-xr-x, assuming that anonymous ftp users would not be able to change anything here. however i was just made aware of the fact that anyone had full write access to my pub directory. i had to change the pub directory to r-xr-xr-x - so i can no longer change anything in the finder! why is this? any suggestions for a setup to let others access my files read-only, while still giving me full read/write access?

thanks in advance,

jonas

What you wrote there in very similar to my setup any it work perfectly for me. Are you sure your pub directory is owned by you and not ftp ? ( ls -l in terminal in the /Users/ftp folder ) and that only the owner has full rights ?

go to /User folder
chown -R [youruser] ftp
chmod -R 755 ftp

after that, if your anonymous user still have write access somewhere, something is definetly wrong.

the problem was that the user ftp had the same uid than myself. (i created the user in netinfo by copying my user, and modifying the necessary fields. obviously i forgot about the uid field).

jonas

Back