Another Jaguar Send Mail Question

Delpezd

Registered
I know there have been several send mail threads but I have not been able to fix my problem. Have just upgraded to Jaguar today, I ran into the usual problem of not being able to send mail through the Mail.app. I get the SMTP error. I have tried turning authentication on and off, SSL on and off still no luck. I'm runnung 10.2.1 and I use mailsnare.net as my e-mail provider. I'm also on a router if that matters. I read somewhere that since a routers IP address starts with 192 it's usually blocked to prevent spammers. I have a cable modem through Adelphia (yeah, I know, they're not the greatest) so I really don't have another SMTP to use. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

I had this error ocur when I set up my firewall under Jaguar. By default only the default INCOMING mail port (commonly port 110) is allowed by the built in firewall. The outgoing SMTP port (port 25) was not. What I had to do was make a new rule allowing data in & out on ports 25 & 110.

I suspect either your firewall (if active), or more likey your router (when doing the network translation), is not allowing access to the port you are using for your outgoing SMTP server. If you don't know that port number info, your ISP should be able to tell you, and may be able to help with your router config as well.

I am behind a router (asante FriendlyNet) and the firewall in Jaguar is turned off. I talked to customer support at mailsnare.net, my e-mail provider, and they gave me their server settings. Once I made the changes, everything worked great. I now have SSL turned off, disabled password authentication and have my SMTP set to port 25. So it looks like I am back in business. Thanks for your suggestions.

It's been weeks that I'm trying everything to solve the send mail problem. It just works one out of ten in sending mails. SMTP seems to have problems with the Cable Modem. I've tried it with normal dial-up connections and everything goes perfect (that's how I've been sending mails).
It is not a setting problem. It seems that there is a relation with MTU of your Ethernet network and a slight difference with cable modem's networks.

Back