another question from an old pc user

jamesx

Registered
i know in windows, if i want to get rid of a program that i installed, i can go to control pannel>add or remove programs and from there i can uninstall it. i don't understand how to uninstall programs on the mac.

sorry for all these newbie questions.

Thanks.

If the program was installed by dragging and dropping it to the Applications folder, then all you need to do is just drag said application to the Trash and empty it.....simple as that.

If said program was installed using an installer, you might have to run the installer again and there should be an option to uninstall or there would be an uninstaller provided with said program package.

yes, i think need to pick that up. i think it would help. if i just bought a new mac, does it have tiger edition??

thanks.

thanks alot. everything seems good with the mac so far. i am really starting to like it. just a lot of learning to do...

I seem to think you would benefit from the easy to read (with pictures) book by NY Times report David Pogue called Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Tiger Edition. You can pick it in most book stores that have a computer section. Here is even a sample chapter.

i am a proud owner of that book and i must say, it has saved my arse on many an occasion. if it weren't for that book, i'd still be pulling my hair out.

to any new switchers, it IS possible! you CAN learn to like your apple, but you have to throw out everything you knew about windows and start over. that book makes the transition fairly painless.

i promise.

kraylus,

I quite agree wiith your sentiment. There is a different paradigm, with respect to using an Apple as compared to using a WIntel box. With a PC, you do things TO your computer (so that you can actually do things WITH your computer), but with a Mac, Apple does things TO your computer, so that you can do things WITH your computer.

In other words, the quality control applied to both the hardware and software of all Macs is so good that you'll find you have a lot more time to use your new machine, now that you don't have to worry about maintaining a substandard product. Enough care has been taken to ensure a virus/malware-free environment by Apple, that it simply works.

As an example, I purchased my iMac last August. I connected the keyboard, mouse, and power and network cables, ran through the initial setup screens, then after booting into OS X, noticed a window with updates available for download and installation. I had yet to even think about setting up the network, but it already worked! That was the first of many discoveries of that sort. My Macs just work! I love the ride thus far, and am NEVER going back :D

Back