Any glitches w upgrade to Tiger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loraxx

Registered
I have several macs with OSX versions 10.2.1 and more recent. I also have a G5 iMac with 10.4.4. Can I simply upgrade my other lesser computers with the Tiger DVD that came with my G5 iMac?

Nope. That disc will only work with other iMac G5s. Also, installing it on other Macs would be illegal, as that install is licensed to that one iMac.

ra3ndy said:
Nope. That disc will only work with other iMac G5s. Also, installing it on other Macs would be illegal, as that install is licensed to that one iMac.

Though you're right in that it would circumvent the license, the disc almost certainly WILL work in other machines (provided they have a DVD drive).

If you want to purchase your CD, you can purchase a multi-computer licensed CD; way cheaper than buying one per computer.

texanpenguin said:
Though you're right in that it would circumvent the license, the disc almost certainly WILL work in other machines (provided they have a DVD drive).
There have been other threads about this topic and others have said that the discs that ship with each model are specific to that model, and that model only. In other words, an iMac disc will not work with an iBook, which will not work with a PowerMac.

Which is correct? Can someone answer this question once and for all, and create a sticky post for reference?

dmetzcher said:
Which is correct? Can someone answer this question once and for all, and create a sticky post for reference?

Some will, some won't. There's no real "right" answer to it, other than the fact that it is illegal.

-----

As far as a sticky, it has already been done.
http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251588

loraxx, read through that thread and you should have the answers you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back