any GOOD disk utility apps for os x?

kafene

Registered
I have drive 10 on my system right now, but when i start it up, it says that it's not written for my latest version of os x.2.3. Looking at reviews on the web and here (did a search), it doesn't seem like it's a good software to use.

I remember reading that Norton System Works 2 also has problems in current OSX (and i read that quite a while ago). Went to their site and didn't see any updates for os x.2.3.

What's the current low-down on good utility app - defrag, optimize, check for directory errors.. you know, all the stuff the older NU's used to do :)

kafene.

Never. Ever. Use. Norton Systemworks.

It's so bad that we've had problems with our Mac, and Applecare said that they'd give us a new mac if it broke down again (as said in my sig) so, as soon as I back everything up, we're running Norton Disk Doctor 'n Speed Disk =P

Yeah I have NSW and it's really bad...

I'll boot from my iPod into OS 9.2.2, allocate 400 megs of RAM to NDD and it'll STILL crash and tell me it ran out of memory. The default size is 3.2 MB.

I've heard many god things about Drive10, but never tried it myself.

Techtool Pro and DiskWarrior/Plus Optimizer. both work great as is from os 9 and both are due out in native os x versions within the month - they were preordering at mwsf.

The DW/PO combo is the better of the 2 if you only can afford one.

Originally posted by edX
Techtool Pro and DiskWarrior/Plus Optimizer. both work great as is from os 9 and both are due out in native os x versions within the month - they were preordering at mwsf.

The DW/PO combo is the better of the 2 if you only can afford one.

I've heard some negatives regarding techtool pro also, but nothing like systemworks, it seems.

I guess I'll wait until the natives come out.

Thanks for everyone's input!!

kafene.

the only negative about ttp as it is now is that it's a bit slow. it does what it says it does. however, recognition of external drive problems seem to only be solvable with DW.

Originally posted by edX
the only negative about ttp as it is now is that it's a bit slow. it does what it says it does. however, recognition of external drive problems seem to only be solvable with DW.

edX, I'm guessing that you are talking about the latest version? I really liked TTP, but stopped when they came out w/ Drive10 (which I thought was the replacement version for OSX...but now that I think about it, is it even from the same publisher?). I'm not too concerned w/ speed because they're ALL slow enough where you don't want to be standing around, anyways. I normally run them and walked away. Norton Ut. used to take much longer to omptimize than TTP, but I just figured it was doing a "better" job :D

kafene.

Back