Any good programs like Picasa for Mac?

Have you ever used Photoshop elements?

Photoshop Elements is not free like iPhoto, Picasa and some alternatives.
While it is fairly powerful, its a Mid Class Application, between Album Applications such as iPhoto, Picassa etc, and the more powerful suites - such as Photoshop.

From memory Adobe released Adobe Photoshop Album Starter as a competitor to products such as picasa giving them low, mid and upper range tools in Digital Imaging, but this like Picasa is a windows only product.

Caledai,
Thanks...I have an iMac and am currently testing Picasa. I have uploaded some albums from iPhoto to Picasa and have used Picasa to send these albums to friends experimentally right now. As yet I have not used Picasa to alter any of these photos ... it isn't readily apparent yet to me where they seem to be hiding those apparatuses for lack of a better word. i have Photoshop Elements 4 for Mac on it's way to me and am anxious to receive the program so I can get the creative juices flowing on some of this photography I enjoy sending out. I like Picasa for sending out albums to friends and relatives. Have used Shutterfly for 7 years and have over 80 albums stored with them but am glad i backed up those photos on disc. Shutterfly is OK but once they get your photos, people that want to reproduce them really can't do that by downloading them. If I send out an album using Picasa at least my daughter in Tucson can download from picasa and get good reproduction. Just ranting a bit.
JJ

Thank you to AlanR for your recommendation of iPhoto Buddy. I'm quite frustrated with iPhoto and it seems that this program will address some of my issues with it.

I just heard of this forum today, and am delighted that it is here. :)

Just tried the latest version of Kodak Easyshare software. Having tried previous versions I wasn't impressed at all, but this one (version 6) seems to be much improved.
It's easily customised and integrates with external programs pretty well. It seems much more responsive than iPhoto as each folder is displayed seperately and doesn't create various library files etc. It has a nice clean brushed metal interface so fits in with OS X nicely. Automatically displays all your videos in a 'smart album' for those that have videos scattered amongst their photos. There's the usual editing features, maybe not as extensive as Picasa or iPhoto, but it can be easily configured to edit pics in an external program. Lots of other nice features too.
I really like iPhoto but having a large amount of photos does seem to slow it down too much. I'd love to see Picasa on the Mac but seems Google don't feel like competing with iPhoto.
Here's a link to Easyshare on download.com (universal binary)
Kodak-EasyShare-Software-for-Mac

Quirky Bear,
In What way did you find iPhoto Buddy to address your issues with iPhoto?

Goodness, for some reason I didn't see your reply until just now (10 months later!)

As it happens, I stopped using iPhoto Buddy quite quickly, because it turned out to be not as useful as I'd initially thought. I now just keep my photos organized in folders in the Finder (titled by date + descriptive name) and use Preview to view batches of them, and ImageWell to crop and resize them for posting online or emailing them.

As far as keeping the photos organized and searchable by keywords, I'm considering going back to the system I used when I was doing film photography, which involved having a simple spreadsheet where I could organize my entire list of photos by any particular keyword (using one per column). This would just point me to the location of the photos. This is probably not appealing to most people, but it was a system that suited me quite well. Unless I find a better solution with a photo viewing program, I'll probably revert to this.

What a thread. Any updates to the Picasa/Mac rumors since the one's that circulated around January of this year?

Any other new programs out there to check out? iPhoto (6.0.6) just isn't right for me.

I'm new to both this forum as well as Mac. . . I bought a MacBook about two weeks ago and I love it. I found this thread searching for an answer to an iPhoto alternate. . . I like how it works and edits, etc. but I cannot stand how it does not integrate with my pictures folder! On Picasa, changes made to pictures in their folders were reflected in Picasa and vice versa. For example, I just rearranged 3000+ pictures in iPhoto only to find the changes were not reflected in my pictures folder. This is extremely inconvenient when trying to upload pictures onto websites. Also, the new events I created in iPhoto are no where to be found in my pictures folder! In Picasa, a new "event" created also creates a new folder in Pictures.

I love my Mac, but I want Picasa back! I appreciate iPhoto for what it does, but the integration with my Pictures folder is crucial to me.

chek out . Its launched.
http://picasa.google.com/mac/

Well, I certainly beleive google took complete idea of making picasa from iPhoto since what iPhoto can do it in the most elegant way, may be picasa does not do.. Still if u wanted picasa on mac, its there and u can use the way...
Best things in iPhoto in mac is the user is not bothered about where the fotos are getting stored.. entire file manageemnt is done internally in the best spaces by iphoto and mac OS X which will reduce the file redundancy in the hard disk and giving us better ways to store the maximum content and speedy operations

No, Picasa wasn't originally developed by Google. It was another great company called Idealab that created Picasa. Google acquired it in mid 2004. Picasa was started in 2001 as a online photo sharing application and has evolved quite a bit since then. iPhoto was first released in 2002 so I don't think Idealab was trying to copy iPhoto. They may have been inspired by some of its features, but it's difficult to say.

Hi. I always used iPhoto and had no trouble until I switched to gmail for email. Now I don't know how to easily make the photos smaller files to send to friends. Any clues? (I'm not super computer savvy - duh) nano.

There are lots of ways of doing what you want.

Here are some ideas:

1 Don't reduce the size of your photos when emailing them. Gmail will let you attach very large attachments.
2. Select the photos you want in iPhoto. You can hold down the command key (used to have apple on it) and click on all the photos you want to email. Then drag them to Preview (drag Preview to your dock). Preview can reduce the size of files. Save them to your Desktop so you can find them.

Now, I don't have the latest iPhoto. It may have an option to do this more easily.

Good luck and let us know if you're still having trouble.

Ex2bot

Back