Any help?

HyperLiteG4

Registered
Hey all - I have Powerbook G4 w/20gig HD I originally had my system all on one partition with 9.1 and OSX. What I want to do now is to re-do my whole setup on separate partitions. Any suggestions on how I show partition my HD? Keep in mind I do a lot of video editing/DVD authoring and graphic design. I've got my fingers crossed for an update for Final Cut hopefully soon. I was thinking like 10 and 10 for the partitions but I don't know.

Oh - also, anybody know how I would be able to completely backup my entire system? I've got a 75GB external firewire drive hooked up and I want to copy my internal over but OSX says I don't have 'sufficient privilages,' whatever that means. Anyone know how I can copy my system over and keep it intact?

Thanks!
-Mike

I have a 13GB hard drive and I gave 8GB to Mac OS X just to force myself to stick with it and try to use as many applications on it as possible. My other partiton, which has 9.1 on it, has 5GB on it. The Mac OS 9.1 partition is pretty much full and the Mac OS X partition is basically empty.

I use Hard Disk Toolkit to partition my drive because it lets you delete volumes, edit volumes, resize volumes and a bunch of cool stuff.

When you try to backup and it gives the error that says you dont have privleuges just click the lock at the bottom of the window and type in your login and password.

Originally posted by tykauffman
When you try to backup and it gives the error that says you dont have privleuges just click the lock at the bottom of the window and type in your login and password.

There is no lock at the bottom of the window. There is no lock at all. What is says is: "Preparing to copy to 'backup hd'......The operation cannon be completed because you do not have sufficient write privileges"

what can i do?

Have you tried logging in to OS X as root? If my guess is right, it's only complaining about 10 to 15 little files that are tucked away in the /var directory. See if root access helps any.

how do I do this again? I've done it before but I don't remember. (sorry I'm not a command promt type of person or anything)

It's not too tough. First, to make sure the root user is actually enabled, open NetInfo Manager in /Applications/Utilities. Click the lock to make changes, then from the menu bar, select Domain:Security:Enable Root User. If it asks any questions, just confirm them, or whatever. After that's all set, quit the program, and save if it prompts you. Logout, then enter the user name root, and use your original administrator password. If it doesn't work, let me know what goes wrong.

I tried all of that and it still wouldn't work. But when I did login as the root user it gave me a checkbox in the 'Get Info' box for the drive I was trying to copy to. That checkbox said to 'ignore privileges on this drive.' I even tried to check that box, restart and it still didn't work.

help!

oh- and the other thing I tried as well was to go to the terminal and type in 'su root' to see if that gave me access but still nothing!

Back