Any way to eliminate the translucency in windows?

Translucency is controlled by the quartz layer and any time you can turn it off it will go faster. I'm pretty sure that is handled within each application, there isn't a master control (I could be wrong). If there is no way within the application's preferences you might try PropertyListEditor in the Applications folder of the Development tools and find the .plst for the application you are trying to tweak. For the finder, Tinker tools is basically a GUI for editing the finder .plst and there are other tools to optimize performance.

The .plst files can be opened with just a text editor but it can be a little difficult to tell what to do there. Always make a backup before doing any of this, as you could make some badness occur in your beautiful system.

There is a program on versiontracker called "shadowkiller" that does something like what you describe. I haven't tried it myself.

ShadowKiller doesn't do what Zero wants to do, I don't think. It effectively makes windows borderless, which is really ugly and really annoying.

If you mean you want to eliminate the translucency in menus and in window title bars, there are some OS X theme hacks that change it so they are totally opaque. I don't believe this will give any speed boost, though, as the Quartz layer still has to do all of the calculations of the appearance of the menus – this is usually just for aesthetic enhancement for people who can't stand the transparency.

Back