Any way to rip DVD movies into my hard drive?

AlawnAaron

Registered
I don't want to "pirate" any movies, but would like to rip DVD's that I bought into my computer so I can put them on my iPod.

Are there ways to rip copy protected DVD's with many chapters/episodes etc?

Which software allows me to do it? Is it legal?

If you're inside of the United States, then it is both legal and illegal at the same time... we shall call this "Schrodinger's DVD."

1) By law, you can make a copy of the DVDs that you own for "backup" purposes in case the original suffers damage.

2) By law, you may not bypass the copyright encryption of the disc to perform step 1. The DMCA specifically prohibits circumventing copy protection, in any manner, for any and all reasons.

So, you can legally backup your DVDs, but you can't circumvent the copy protection in the process -- which you would be required to do in order to make a working backup copy. Catch-22. Rock and a hard place. Yadda-yadda.

Having said that, people in your situation would typically use a program called MacTheRipper or iRip or any one of the freely available software programs found with a Google search:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mac+os+x+rip+dvd

;)

I recommend you a DVD Ripper.

It could easily rip DVD to MP4, H.264, AVI, MP3, WMV, WMA, FLV, MKV, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, 3GP, 3GPP, VOB, DivX, Mov, RM, RMVB, M4A, AAC, WAV, etc. with super fast DVD ripping speed and excellent image and sound quality.

It also can edit the DVD movies, such as trim a video clip, crop the movie, merge several titles or chapters into one file and so on.

I ususlly use handbrake to rip DVD, but handbrake needs you to take advantage of VLC's ability to skirt DVD copy-protection schemes when ripping commercial DVDs. You may also choose MacTheRipper along with MacX DVD Ripper Pro to slove your problem.

Back