Any way to send messages to Notification Center from another machine on network?

WhyADuck

Registered
I need a way to have a Linux-based machine send a message that can be received and displayed by the Mavericks Notification Center. I used to do this on an older version of OS X by running Growl, and using its built-in ability to listen for incoming notifications. On the Linux box, I run a Perl script that uses the Net:Growl module to send the notifications. This was simple and worked well, but since everything is moving from Growl to Notification Center I'd like to be able to use that under Mavericks.

As far as I can tell, Notification Center has no way to receive incoming messages from another system on the network and post them. Is there really no way to do that, or am I just missing it?

My other thought was that if I could send the message as a Bonjour message then iChat could display it, but I don't know of any way to have a script send a Bonjour message from a Linux box. Note that the Linux box is a server, and therefore has no desktop or GUI.

I was hoping that perhaps someone else has run into this and has figured out a way to push notifications from another machine on the local network and display them in Notification Center. If so, would you please be so kind as to tell me how you did it, or perhaps point me to a useful page that explains the procedure?

Back