Any word on QuickTime 6.1 yet?

dani++

usin UNIX since '92
I am currently finishing a project that involves a whole bunch of PCs capturing DV streams to AVI and then editing them in QT6. Yeah, I would like to migrate all our corporate IT strategy to Mac, but sadly that won't happen any time soon.

All is running perfectly until the .AVI files exceed 1GB, then QT6 is not able to proceed reading the file and limits itself to 'seeing' and playing the first 4-5 minutes.

This effectively stops cold my project and the use of QT on it. However, it is said that this is a known issue (I've read on some forums about people that have also reproduced the problem) and that it's fixed on 6.1 which it seems is already on beta stage.

Does anyone have any info on this? When is this supposed to come out? I need it rather badly.

dani++

QuickTime is the one software that Apple has always had official previews for the big new versions.

However, you probably won't really WANT to use a 6.1 (or whatever) beta for production use. Maybe you'll find a software that lets you divide the large AVIs into smaller ones? Look on versiontracker (they have Windows software, too) or google...

Originally posted by fryke
QuickTime is the one software that Apple has always had official previews for the big new versions.

Yes, I wonder why this has not been done this time, as it fixes those pesky bugs that effectively limits its operation.

However, you probably won't really WANT to use a 6.1 (or whatever) beta for production use. Maybe you'll find a software that lets you divide the large AVIs into smaller ones? Look on versiontracker (they have Windows software, too) or google...

True, but that leaves the options of either not using QT or using QT beta. In my experience, I would risk using the beta as it supposedly introduces little extra functionality (not as in a 5-6 jump) but fixes oustanding bugs.

Doing AVI slices would be rather rudimentary and really wouldn't help in this situation (I wouldn't mind doing it myself, but ask windows-centric journalists to do it...).

Thanks,

dani++

(If there is any word on this new version please do post here...)

Back