Anybody feel like getting ticked off?

d8n_two

Registered
This article by PC Magazine's John C. Dvorak worked in getting me mad. Basically he says that it's time for the Mac to go away, and that Apple has nothing new to offer.

I guess Redmond, Wa. is where all the innovation is happening.

d8n_two

Read it again. I actually think it's quite a good article from such an ignorant bastard. (Board Policy acknowledged but ignored, because he actually IS an ignorant bastard.)

He even _states_ in his column what Apple did right (and where others failed). He ignores the fact that the Mac has an almost incredible following since 1984, which basically makes putting the Mac to bed and creating something new and better an impossible task. It's of course also a task that doesn't make any sense at all, since evolution is working quite well in the computer market of today. And it's also working for Apple. Things like Desktop Movies simply weren't possible a few years ago, and Apple has been a driving force in this field not only in software, but also in hardware. FireWire is an Apple product, for example.

To say things like 'the next iMac will feature the same design with a larger screen and then what?' is also a sign for his ignorance. They first had to _design_ this beautiful machine before improving it. That he looks at the iMac II as if it had been here forever also shows that Apple was *right* here. It just feels natural to further build on this design.

Where he's right though is that the computing industry must find a way out of its current misère. Lack of innovation means design above function. But that's exactly where Apple never failed, ever since the original iMac came out. Their designs were always very basic and simple, putting function above design _without_ leaving the design behind. The Titanium PowerBook is a good symbol for this: Apart from the heat the G4 is generating (an issue which should finally be addressed with the next PowerBook upgrade), the TiBook is an incredibly functioning machine, which _also_ has the appeal of its design speaking for itself.

Mr. Dvorak ignores some basic facts and doesn't seem to like where the computing industry is heading. Well, that's his problem then. I'll take that G5 PowerBook coming out in January 2003.

My basic problem with the article was that he assumes that all new innovation in computers should be hardware based. The hardware end of PC's is largely established, most innovations will come on the software front, where Apple is spending most of its time. Does he ever make any suggestions as to what would be good innovation?

I'm basically looking as his article as a memoir of how good things used to be in silicon valley. Sure things were exciting, PC's were being invented and were moving torwards today's form. To expect that level of innovation to continue was unreasonable. The PC industry has established itself.

As an industry it no longer serves the needs of geeks, but the mass public. And the mass public demands a stable dependable computing situation, not a rapidly changing landscape.

Now, behind the scenes other industries are being established. If he wants that old feeling of constant innovation back he should find a new industry.

But like crazyapplerumors.com said, I just think he does it to get some hits.:D

I guess the thing that irritates me is that it seems he thinks Apple is no good unless they start everything from scratch. His whole point is that Apple's innovation hasn't led to anything beyond the Mac. Well, unless I'm mistaken, the iMac G4 is not your father's Macintosh. And Mac OS X in all truth is an entirely new OS that, other than Classic, has few deep rooted ties to Mac OS 9 and before.

Apple could have very well could have abandoned the "Mac" title for something else post OS X, and it would have seemed like a completely new start.

Dvorak ignores the fact that Apple is one of the few computer companies that actually has positive cashflow, and until recently, has had steady stock prices. Apple, like Matrix said, is also the only company producing software that makes hardware that currently exists more productive and innovative.

JCD simply chose to listen to the facts he wanted to hear while leaving the rest behind. But to be honest, I wouldn't expect anything else from him after to listening to him bash Apple on PC TV, uh, I mean Tech TV.

d8n_two

I really dont know where to start????

I dont know where to end??????

I am speech less??????

Butt what makes it worse is PC mags "disscusion board" and what people replied???????????

I am so ........

forget it give I up????????????

sorry to double post

but i read some more replies on the article.....and all i can say is
WHAT THE $%^&*()?????????

how many closed minded people are on the net????

I cant belive how many people bash something they have never use for more than 15 min at a store?????

I cant belive how many people bash something they have never use for more than 15 min at a store?????

The same can be said about a lot of the Mac-fanatics in this forum and their views about the PC and Windows as well.

I honestly don't know why anyone gets upset when people bash Apple (even a well-known but ill-informed one) or say the Mac is dead.

How many times have we heard this same rant before? How many have predicted the fall of Apple and the Mac, only to eat their words?

Besides, our passion for the Mac aside, we use the Mac because it IS better in many, many ways - better hardware, better software, more intuitive, etc.

And, with the arrival of OS X, the best has here and is getting better by the moment.

Having a computer is an investment in both time and money. You have to pay to get it, pay to keep it current, and invest your time in learning how to use it productively. Whether we like it or not, some people justify their choices by trashing the choices of others. This probably describes most of the people who commented on the PC Magazine message boards. It may even describe John Dvorak.

Since I use Mac OS 9, Mac OS X, Windows 2000, Windows NT, & Windows 98 in my daily work with clients, I'm content to let the Windows folks have what they have. From my experience, Windows is not the dark side, it's not the light side, it's just another side.

And, let's face it, Unix and its variants have been around longer than *either* Apple or Microsoft. In choosing to have Unix at its core, Apple has made the better choice. User friendly AND immensely powerful.

Let John Dvorak have his opinion. But seriously folks, does he really think we care what he thinks?

Well... maybe just for entertainment value...

Mr. John C. Dvorak gets payed to troll. He is an 'ignorant bastard'. His wording is also really annoying. But, his point is that Apple should come up with something new that isn't a mac. I think it is a good point, but, they already have done that. It is called OS X. OS X may have the word Mac in it, but it isn't like the macs of before. Dvorak thinks OS X is just an upgrade to handle modern multimedia. Yeah, right. But in reality it is totally different. It is also a huge 'next-big-thing' for developers.

Dvorak really doesn't know what he is talking about. He can rant all he wants, but, the intellegent population will just see him as an idiot. Even smart PC users will see him for what he really is. His choice of words leads people to not like him. Saying the mac should be put down like an old dog.

Anyways, don't feed the trolls.

Windows is not the dark side, it's not the light side, it's just another side.
Well said but my quest in life is to educate people away from being closed minded. I'd like every windows user to think "Macintosh is not the dark side, it's not the light side, it's just another side." As others have said, people need to bash Macintosh (or Windows) in order to feel secure in their own choice. If they knew enough about which choice they made they wouldn't go around trying to justify themselves.

Of course in my humble opinion, if they knew enough about other options there would be no Windows users :) Just gamers on console systems, techies on *NIX and consumers on Macintosh, all perfectly integrated.

Back