Anybody know the secret?

zippygaloo

Registered

I'm STILL having problems connecting to the internet via OSX's "Built in" PPPoe. Nobody has given me a concrete workable answer as of yet.

I configure my OSX "Network" settings in the "System Preferences" per Earthlink's DNS numbers etc. (I have Earthlink DSL). Everything is put in correctly, however when I try to connect nothing happens.

EXCEPT.....

I can successfully connect ONLY.....AGAIN ONLY, if I first switch my network connection from "Built In Ethernet" to "Internal Modem" hit the "connect" button and then quickly switch back to "Built In Ethernet" and then quickly hit the "connect" button.

I don't want to have to connect this way. I want only to have to hit the "Connect" button while using "Built In Ethernet".

Why does this do this? How do I fix this? Does anyone really know enough about OSX to know what the heck is causing this and how to fix it?

NOTE: Configuring "Advanced" under the "Network" settings and either disabling the internal modem or moving it below the "Built in Ethernet" does not work!

My system:

G4 400 Tower (Sawtooth) 576 MB RAM
10 GB OS 9.1
10 GB OS X w/ clean 9.1 for classic
Apple 17" ADC Studio Display
Currently running Build 4P13/10.0.3

Earthlink/Mindspring/Covad DSL 1.5mbs

THANKS TO STANLEY IN THE MACFIXIT FORUMS.

HIS POST READ:

I beg your pardon but..... After taking a bit to look at the PPPoe thing in OS X I was able to make my connection work. My original mistake was putting the ISP name into the "Service Provider" space. This space should remain blank or it will not connect.

Once I made that fix, no troubles.

I'LL SAY IT AGAIN TO MAKE IT CLEAR:

MY MISTAKE WAS PUTTING THE ISP NAME INTO "SERVICE PROVIDER" space. THIS SHOULD REMAIN BLANK!

THANKS AGAIN STANLEY!

THANKS TO STANLEY IN THE MACFIXIT FORUMS.

HIS POST READ:

I beg your pardon but..... After taking a bit to look at the PPPoe thing in OS X I was able to make my connection work. My original mistake was putting the ISP name into the "Service Provider" space. This space should remain blank or it will not connect.

Once I made that fix, no troubles.

I'LL SAY IT AGAIN TO MAKE IT CLEAR:

MY MISTAKE WAS PUTTING THE ISP NAME INTO "SERVICE PROVIDER" space. THIS SHOULD REMAIN BLANK!

THANKS AGAIN STANLEY!

Back