Anyone download and install OpenOffice?

aluminum

Registered
I've been trying to download the OSX beta of OpenOffice but the MacUpdate site (the 'official' site in the US) continually either drops the connection or completes with a corrupted archive.

I'm trying a few foreign mirrors, but they are just a *bit* slow...anyone know of any US mirrors and/or has anyone succesfully downloaded them from MacUpdate?

I had to try all of them before I got one that would hold a connection....and yes, it was running about half as fast as my normal downloads.

Be patient. Also, go to Version Tracker and get OpenOfficeLauncher, or something like that, it makes life easier once you have OO installed.

And the first time you run it, be very patient, it takes A COUPLE of minutes to get going....but it is so worth it.

Eddie

I downloaded it from a server in Germany. I'm located in the USA, but had the same problem with MacUpdate's server that you encountered.
And yes, it is worth the effort! :D

Very nice piece of software. I personally added a link to it in the x11 menu of apps. All you have to do is use the unix command and the directory to open it. It makes it very easy to launch since i keep x11 running all the time.

I got it from www.openoffice.org and it's true, I got a couple corrupted downloads too. The third one worked. It's definitely not for the unlucky dial-uppers. I think it's a great app and I recommend it to everyone, even though it's a beta. It worked with no significant problems on my G4, and at last I can open my office's Word docs on the Mac. Localized (Italian) hyphenation and spelling work fine too, with minimal tweaking. I think it leaves something to be desired in font handling, though -- that's pretty much the only reason why I'm waiting for the final Aquafied version. On the Win2000 box, out went M$Office and in went OOO 1.0.1 -- smartest wordprocessing choice of my life, so now I can proudly say that this office is M$O free :D

Back