Anyone else notice this?

unlearnthetruth

Recycle Me!
My how the times have changed...

You agree that you will not export or reexport any of the software or confidential information received from Apple (i) into (or to a national or resident of) Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Serbia, Sudan, Syria, Taliban controlled Afghanistan, or any other country to which the U.S. has embargoed goods; or (ii) to anyone on the U.S. Treasury Department's list of Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons, U.S. Commerce Department's Table of Denial Orders and Entities List, or the U.S. State Department's Debarred List. By downloading this software, you represent and warrant that you are not located in, under the control of, or a national or resident of any such country or on any such list. You also agree that you will not use these products for any purposes prohibited by United States law, including, without limitation, the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons.

Sick world we live in....

Yeah I read this one time when downloading Mac OS 9.2.2...
It's very strange, I think.

How would you make nucleair weapons with Mac OS 9?

AppleWatcher

this is totally a guess, but i would think it would be possible to launch a weapon with os 9. but i think the idea is more of a general information embargo - cut off their communications with the free world and all that.

it's bad enough we have people in our own country and among our allies trying to hack into every secure database we have. imagine what a really motivated and malicious (in all the worse senses) 'enemy' hacker could do it they got thru m$ security;)

Originally posted by AppleWatcher

Not entirely certain I admit, but I sure hope for all our sakes they aren't made with windows PC's. Could bring a whole new meaning to 'The blue screen of death'

Bernie :eek:)

AppleWatcher

Code:
tell application "Launch Nuke" open.
set target to "US of A".
display dialog "Lauch?". buttons{"ok"} default button 1 giving up after 1.
set _Launch_Big_Ass_Bomb(true).
display dialog "Bye Bye" + target.
end tell.

;)

FaRuvius

Do you really want to know? Consider this, the first nuclear weapons were made using slide-rule, pencil and paper. There are more than a few apps that I can think of that would help with that type of math that have been around dating back to at least 1988. If you are talking about the bomb itself or separating the isotopes, computing that type of stuff could actually be done on something as old as a Mac IIci. The important part of today's systems is that you can actually simulate everything instead of having to do physical testing. And yes, you can do that type of modeling on any computer that can be programmed (which includes Mac OS 9). Honestly, the important part is finding someone who understands enough aspects of creating such a device more than what hardware/software is there to use.

I remember a few years ago when Apple came out with the newest G3 Power Macs, they weren't allowed to export them to a bunch of countries because the Gov't deemed the Macs 'too powerful' and didn't want them used to develop weapons.

Apple even used it in an add to promote how powerful the Mac was. Anyone else remember that?

Originally posted by themacko
I remember a few years ago when Apple came out with the newest G3 Power Macs, they weren't allowed to export them to a bunch of countries because the Gov't deemed the Macs 'too powerful' and didn't want them used to develop weapons.

Apple even used it in an add to promote how powerful the Mac was. Anyone else remember that?

I do!
That was the time with the "toasting Pentium II Processor" ad! And the one where a steamroll went over some peeC Notebooks!:D :D :D

It wasn't the G3.... it was the first G4 that couldn't be exported (because a gigaflop designated it as a supercomputer).... wasn't it?

Back