Anyone here purchase the Dell 24" LCD?

contoursvt

Registered
I just ordered one and am waiting for delivery but I'm still not sure as I've never owned an LCD before but for those who have this monitor... is colour reproduction fairly close to a decent CRT? I've got an older Dell 21" Trinitron which is very good but its heavy, uses lots of electricity..bla blah.. Now I'm thinking of going LCD but I've heard that colours wont be as smooth and that LCD is not so great for work with photos and such. Is that how it was way back or still this way?

My primary work with art will be with Photos I take with my digital camera (Canon digital rebel) and just cropping, touching up..etc. I want to make sure the LCD will be at least almost as good as my CRT for skin tones and hues.

Whats everyone's feeling on LCD for photo work? Also if anyone who has this monitor can comment on how they like it or dislike it, I'd love to hear it. PS. My primary box is not a mac. Its a PC with an ATI X800XT. I dont think this monitor will like my B&W G3 much ;)

contoursvt said:
I just ordered one and am waiting for delivery but I'm still not sure as I've never owned an LCD before but for those who have this monitor... is colour reproduction fairly close to a decent CRT? I've got an older Dell 21" Trinitron which is very good but its heavy, uses lots of electricity..bla blah.. Now I'm thinking of going LCD but I've heard that colours wont be as smooth and that LCD is not so great for work with photos and such. Is that how it was way back or still this way?

My primary work with art will be with Photos I take with my digital camera (Canon digital rebel) and just cropping, touching up..etc. I want to make sure the LCD will be at least almost as good as my CRT for skin tones and hues.

Whats everyone's feeling on LCD for photo work? Also if anyone who has this monitor can comment on how they like it or dislike it, I'd love to hear it. PS. My primary box is not a mac. Its a PC with an ATI X800XT. I dont think this monitor will like my B&W G3 much ;)
if the panel is similar to the 20" used by both dell and apple, you should be amazed at the clarity of the images. as for colour problems, it used to be bad(think of the screen on an old digicam when you tilted one way or another and saw the colours wildly fluxuate!), but is now almost non-existant as a problem IMO. i am a graphic designer, and i have the 20" apple panel, and it's incredible, so much better than the (comparatively) blurry 19" CRT i had before. the Apple 23" apparently does have some bad problemns with a pink hue and colour banding with slightly yellow edges, and a blue band down the middle, to the right. you really do have to look, but as a photographer, this may put you off. the size of workspace though is incredible, as is the clarity of that workspace. i'm not sure if this problem is on the 24" dell. i shouldn't have thought so. the Dell is apparently a lot brighter.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?13@647.QZxZaF6XRSj.3@.68ad3f33/21 - a pro discussion between the apple 23" and the dell 24"

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2400 - a very good reveiw between the 20"s, and a good example fo the differences between the apple and dell manufacture, with the same panels.

I decided to cancel my order and remain with my Dell 21" trinitron for some time longer. I'm just too happy with this monitor to try something new. I realized that after the order. The LCD may be more compact, better focus and brighter but this CRT has nice velvet smooth colours and somehow has character :) Me loves my trinitron...

Back