Anyone know a program called Tomboy?

starhorsepax

Registered
I downloaded this after the instructor mentioned wanting us to use Onenote in class because we'd be able to take the notes when we leave. I asked if it was mac compatible and got the uhhh....
Anyway I searched for a mac compatible freeware equivalent (I hardly want to buy Microsoft office anyway.) This isn't perfect but was doing okay. Until it crashed. All the notes are there but the notebooks were gone. Yet when I typed in the notebook names, some of the notes just popped back into place.

Does anyone know if this is a regular Tomboy bug or if there is a better freeware program? I don't want one only on the internet because my connection at school is unreliable. The main site for this is 'over my head' in technical detail at the moment.

I did everything it said. It worked for several hours then CRASH. I get the same console messages like this:

.org.gnome.tomboy[801] (Tomboy:801): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_container_remove: assertion `GTK_IS_TOOLBAR (container) || widget->parent == GTK_WIDGET (container)' failed :eek:

It also mentions being unable to find icons (which I can open the folder and are right there. So they aren't missing.)

I get the impression this might have something to do with the mono framework. But I don't know enough about it to figure it out. (I don't see an easy place to get help on that site either::evil::.)

I'm now looking for something else. I find it odd that there seems to be nowhere to post a simple question if you are just a user, not a developer.

OK, I have it installed on my iMac G5 running Leopard. Granted, it's the PPC version of the Mono framework, but I'll report back if I notice the same problem. BTW, when it crashed, did something else take place? Something like maybe the screensaver kicking in or the screen blanking out? Or did it just crash out of nowhere?

So I left it running overnight and all day, used it some last night, and it has not crashed since. Are you sure you downloaded the correct version of the Mono framework for your Mac? Mine has a PowerPC G5 processor, so I would have to download the PPC disk image. If you have an Intel Mac, you would need to download the Intel one. I noticed today that there's a Universal one, but I haven't tried that one.

I suspect that maybe you have an Intel Mac and you downloaded the PowerPC version of Mono. Even though it will run (due to Rosetta being able to execute OS X code for PowerPC Macs), I doubt it would be stable enough to run for extended periods of time.

If in doubt of which architecture your Mac is using, just select "About This Mac" under the Apple menu and see what it says.

The notebook issue is a really big bug that was found recently in the Mac version, and has not yet been fixed, but should be fixed by the time 1.4 comes out:

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=612992

Basically, notebooks are lost on Tomboy restart. :-/ This doesn't cause you to lose your notes, but just to have the associated notebooks forgotten. I apologize for this bug, unfortunately we have less users on the Mac and so don't get as much testing there.

As for the crash, if you ever have a crash again, you should be able to get a detailed trace from /Applications/Utilities/Console.app. I am not aware of any crashes bugs on the Mac so you may have found something new.

For what it's worth, crashes in Tomboy rarely lead to data loss because notes auto-save every 4 seconds.

Great to hear from those involved with the project. This is why I love FLOSS. Thanks for the detailed info. :)

Back