Anyone know how to get around registering?

knighthawk

Registered
Does apple want us to register each time that we reinstall OSX? Is there some sort of way around it, or do they like finding out how many times a person has to reinstall!

Makes sense to me, but is very annoying!

When I installed OSX, I didn't have an internet connection. I don't know if it auto registered me after I connected or not...

I tried that accidently at work today...

we must be behind a firewall, and I was trying to plug in a Static IP. The IP was not working, so the registration cancelled.

The internet access was completely down on the iMac I was installing it on, so I went back to the gateway & virtual network that we normally use. I could get on the internet after that, but the Apple Software Update was completely screwed up. I could not get it to update any software. I had to download the update to 10.0.4 from the apple website (which I wanted to do anyway), and tried to install that to see if it would fix the problem. I didn't!!!

I finally reinstalled the OSX for the third time, and it is working fine now.

Maybe Apple just wants to log how many installs we do. "Hey, there is John Doe installing it again! Wonder what he did this time..."

When I had to install it on my iBook, I just cancelled the registration out of impatience, and it didn't give me any trouble.

Does anyone know what exactly is send to Apple during registration process? Mac serial #?, IP, config info? etc. Under OS X there is no option for not registering.

Someone should run a packet sniffer while they register so we can find out what's really being sent.

I don't mind installing X once more. What I need is someone to help me with installing and using tcpflow or something,

I think they only send the data you enter in the text fields during the registration procedure, nothing more. IMO it would be very un-Apple to send "secret data". After all, this is the company that doesn't even _try_ to protect its commercial software against illegal copying (no serial numbers, no registration on almost all of its software). I think the only reason why there is a registration procedure after installing X is they want A/ to know how many people are using X, and B/ want as many iTools customers as possible.

this is the company that doesn't even _try_ to protect its commercial software against illegal copying

well, most of it's 'commercial' software is free & marketed as a feature of the macintosh, rather than a separate application package. They do protect some things; Quicktime Pro, OSX Server & WebObjects for example

Hold down Command-S at startup to enter single-user mode
at the command prompt, enter the following

fsck -y (to check disk)
mount -uw / (to mount hard drive as writable)
nicl -raw /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb -create /users/root passwd
(to enable a root user with no password)
touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
(to fool Setup Assistant into thinking it has been
run)
exit (to continue booting normally)

The system should then comtinue to boot. You should log in as root with no password. Then go to Users and do an Admin user. You should then disable root in the NetInfo tool. Just because security. All the things you setup during the SetupAssistant can be configured via the System Preferences.

Peggan

Back