Anyone see this patent?

it could just be apple trying to make sure that the 'arm' concept of the original dome imac isn't copied in another form factor by the like's of emachines etc. - though the pyramidal thing is odd.

a lot about the patent talk at macrumors.com:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86801
i mirrored the patent image here:
http://phbz.org/quikblog/imacdoubleswingarmsmaller2.jpg

but here's what I'd love to see out of it:
the dual arm just to be a base/docking station unit. Then have the new G5 imac (or a totally new offering from Apple even) be a tablet type computer. It's mounting would be the dual arm if you wanted to use it like a normal machine, or you undock it (from teh arm or whatever) to take it with you and use as a tablet.

that would be pretty cool (and innovative I think). can't claim credit here though - my father in law actually had this brainstorm.

Geez, you can get patents on just about anything these days. Non-obvious? What's that?

Incidentally, a fellow in Australia recently patented the wheel, just to prove that the patent system there had gotten way out of control. It got accepted too. (sorry, no reference)

Yeah, it sounds like they're just trying to protect the concept of the iMac.

Scruffy, the patent system is really coming to the public eye in recent months. I know that various computer companies have patented progress bars, tabbed preferences, the "OK" button, buying with credit cards on the Internet, even the idea to "share files over a network" is patented. It is becoming quite a tedious problem and a minefield for anyone who wants to release any product of any kind.

We're going to see some interesting law suits in the future. I realize that companies need to protect their investment but some things seem too generic to patent. A progress bar, tabbed browser, a square power button, etc. But maybe they weren't so generic at the time.

These patents might very well be the death of competition and cause all sorts of upsets. We'll see.

Back