anyone seen the rackmount yet?

I hope they allows removable drives and swappable power supplies... Those are pretty standard features for rackmounts.

I hope they offer a model under 1000.... that is also pretty standard for most rackmount mnaufacturers... but since this is apple it'll probably be $2000.

what type of graphic card interface will this thing have? AGP? AGP2x? PCI?

what is too keep people from buying this and turning it into their working mac? subsitituing this for a standard tower?

will it have OSX Server installed? for ten users? unlimited? some special rackmount OSX server version?

so many questions....

I remember reading somewhere that it's the first Mac server than can be run headless, which kinda leads me to believe that the GPU is gonna be pretty wimpy. Which is exactly what servers should have.

Remember, this rackmount really is targetted at "render farms" and the like, so its features are probably going to be optimized for those situations.

I think this will be one of Apple's good years in my mind (except for that Quartz Extreme thing that has got people fuming).

They listened to users for the new iMac for the most part, and they are doing the same on the server end. They got out a TiBook (although it is more expensive) that is pretty darn appealing and cool running (800Mhz, very quiet fan, cooler than previous models). Once I see 10.2, I could probably say it meets and beats 9.x in terms of features and usability (speed will remain an issue on older machines, but I won't go into that and risk off-topic flames). Education users will have a Netbootable, Netinstallable box by the start of the school year (again).

Overall, I think this rack-mount server is the mark that Apple is getting in the zone for handling their customer's wants in future products, even if the result isn't exactly what the customer dreamed it should be. Long live the rack-mount, let it be as good as people say, and let it not be the last in good steps towards a very successful product line in the future.

BTW, the briQ is the rackmount Terrasoft (who produces Yellow Dog and Black Lab Linux) which you referred to.

Pointing out what we are discussing about is a little redundant, wouldn't you say? ;)

Hmmm, i'll sound ignorant but i'm just 15 years old , hehe

What is a rackmount server , somebody could explain to me plz?? :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance

Rack-mounts are useful when you need a lot of servers/switches/hubs in minimal amount of space. You usually have a metal shelving unit that these things will 'mount' into as if they were a shelf.

May 14th, huh?
If it does sell for under $800 you can count on me to get one and haxXx0r it a tad for my *ultimate-home-usage* computer!

No really, this is going to be great! Whenever Apple releases something it's always amazing (unless it starts with an 'e' instead of 'i')!

Originally posted by BlingBling 3k12
can't name it eServer... IBM has a product called eServer (something like IBM eSeries eServer)

iServe is a cool name :)

Since Apple usually uses "i" for consumer machines and "power" for professional machines, it's probably going to be called PowerServer or something... Or plain old PowerMacintosh Server G4.

Power Machintosh? Is that supposed to be hinting towards the mach kernel in OS X, or it supposed to hint that it's a "machine", as in a powerhouse?

;) :p :rolleyes:

Back