Anyone tell me when...

Pippin

Sys***** slave.
Ok i know this is boring and repitative, but i must have some sort of date for the new G5's???
If not i may loose all hope and crawl into a dark space and die.

When Oh when Oh when????

The real question is, what will they release...

We know this has to be soon as AMD dropped their Athlon 64 after the G5 and have already updated the line once. Like I posted before, we're deep into the 12 month/3GHz promise by Steve Jobs. He announced it in June '03, which was about 8 months ago, leaving 4 months left until we were promised 3GHz. What does Apple do? They can't let us wait a full year for a single update to the PowerMac G5, after they gained so much attention bringing it out with such a promising road map. On the other hand, it seems odd to see the PowerMac timeline go 2.0Ghz, 2.6GHz, 2.8GHz, and 3.0GHz.

Personally, I think this month Apple, if they can, should go for it big time. Drop a high end 3.0GHz PowerMac. Beat the expectations, cause commotion and achieve a full 1GHz speed bump within 8 months. Remember, AMD's Athlon 64 3000+ chip is only clocked at 1.99GHz. Without getting into their FX line, even a 3400+ chip shouldn't be faster than 2.4GHz in real clock. Being the first to 3.0GHz in the 64-bit platform would be huge.

What does the Fx line clock at anyway?

A 64-bit system would be nice as well ;) :) Noticed MS are throwing out betas of their 64-bit OS now.

Yeah, I got the free 1 year XP 64 download to try on the AMD system I built. You'd have to think that Apple has something 64 bit up their sleeves...we can hope!

Again, I think it'd be a missed opportunity to ship a 64 bit chip with a fully ready 64 bit OS before anyone else.

they are RUMORS of new chips including 2 G5 cores...
wait and see.

you have the choice: either you wait for the newest chips and you buy as soon as they arrive... or you wait for others to buy these and find the bugs... and you buy a machine that is less sexy 6 months later but that operates without a glitch.

after having been a first timer on the B&W, I now wait for the second generation of anything before I buy :)

See, now that's the issue. From what I saw from IBM's roadmap, the chips will keep getting big time changes to them as they increase the clockspeed and continue producing more powerful CPU's. I've read about the dual cores, which is great to hear, I've also read something about some sort of hyperthreading, which would be cool too. The issue is, how do you know its really a second generation anymore? My thought is coming from this:

We have a 2.0GHz G5 chip, now, if we Apple released an identical chip, but clocked at 2.5GHz, then that'd be a true second generation you can hang your hat on and say the bugs were killed in v.1.

But IBM/Apple won't do that. They'll release it with something new/different, be it dual cores, hyperthreading, different cache sizes...something. Then you go back, in theory, to step one. Since the hardware changed to incorporate newer technologies, your version 2 CPU is v.2 G5, but v.1 with dual cores, or some advancement.

Hopefully that was remotely coherent.

The bigger the changes, the likely the bugs. A speed boost (even with a technology change) is not as dramatic as going from G4 to G5 !

Oh, I agree, when moving chips, that's the biggest. I was just pointing out the fact that we never know what Apple/IBM will come up with. I mean, supposedly, the 3.0GHz+ chips would be G6 at that point, in Apple terms, if I remember the roadmap correctly, but who's to say Apple won't just sell it as G5, though there should be enough of the same between the two chips to warrant that.

A lot of people are assuming Steve meant there would be 3ghz Power Macs come June 04' when really all he said was the technology would be available then. So to me that would mean maybe they could start making the actual machines then and maybe have them shipping in the fall. Just a guess.

I think Apple right now concentrate on something else... iTMS and I don't know what.
So the new Mac will come when ... it'll be ready.

Look at all of us... anticipating new machines, pinching our pennies in anticipation of something new and wonderful to emerge from 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino, CA. And I bet that's the way Steve Jobs wants it. After all, anticipating something is often much stronger than having it, and once you do get it, it makes it that much sweeter, whatever "it" is. So maybe, Apple will withhold all (or most major) updates until next Macworld Expo and announce something really huge, like 3 Ghz G5's, G5 Powerbooks, and something to go after the $300-$800 computer range. Who knows...

Arden said:
Look at all of us... anticipating new machines, pinching our pennies in anticipation of something new and wonderful to emerge from 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino, CA. And I bet that's the way Steve Jobs wants it. After all, anticipating something is often much stronger than having it, and once you do get it, it makes it that much sweeter, whatever "it" is. So maybe, Apple will withhold all (or most major) updates until next Macworld Expo and announce something really huge, like 3 Ghz G5's, G5 Powerbooks, and something to go after the $300-$800 computer range. Who knows...

Well, there's also the problem that 1) Steve needs to actually make money in the meantime as well, and 2) Eventually people start to lose interest.

As far as the June thing, I assumed that Steve meant 3ghz within 1 year of when the G5s actually came out, which definitely wasn't June...

I remember him saying that they would have 3GHz within one year of the expo, and he made a point of stating that it would be one year from that day, and not later. So they probably would have them released in June but shipping a bit later.

Well, even an announcement with a 3 week lag to ship the thing is good enough for me. But at this point, Apple needs to keep its 3GHz promise. For so long the Mac faithful have been lagging behind on the clock speeds and now we have a real shot at taking a *gulp* lead in the 64 bit clock wars. Heck, Intel's only at what, 3.4GHz on their P4? 3.0 G5 would be right there, about one clock revision behind. If you consider how far we've come in closing that gap, it'd be a shame to see us slip up at all, since everyone will be critical of seeing Jobs keep his clock promise.

I think we all have to agree, though, since we know the timeframe of 3GHz, it'd be tricky for Apple to bring out anything slower right now, unless it shipped same day, possibly. Oh, and by the way, announcing a 3GHz G5, but saying it won't ship for 12-16 weeks won't work either! ;)

Back