Anyone using Broadband optimizer?

aluminum

Registered
Is anyone using broadband optimizer to increase packet sizes?

http://www.enigmarelle.com/sw/BroadbandOptimizer/

I downloaded and installed it but it does not seem to work. It doesn't automatically change my packet settings for me. If I follow the instrucitons on the site above manually in terminal, it DOES work, but it would be nice to have these set automatically on start up.

I use it. i have for some time. in fact i had almost forgotten about it until the new version just came out. and it seems to work a little better than the last.

are you sure you have it in your root library and not in the library in your system folder? When you open your hd, there should be a folder on the same 'root' level as the folders "applications" and "system" assuming you haven't moved them. place BBO folder from dmg into the folder called StartupItems (exact spelling and caps for s and i are important here) inside the library folder. if you don't have that folder there - create it. then reboot.

i went into such detail as many others have had problems with the installation as well. ;)

I have it as such:

OS X/Library/StartupItems/BroadbandOptimizer/files...

Should I move the files out of the BroadbandOptimizer folder and place them in the main StartupItems folder?

using the default name for your system hd -

Macintosh HD/Library/StartupItems/BroadbandOptimizer/files...

if you have it in your osx system file, then it is in the wrong library. Don't ask me why it makes a difference but it does.

then it should work. i haven't the foggiest idea why it wouldn't. might be worth writing the developer and reporting.:confused:

I've installed The Broadband Optimizer in my user's System folder.

After doing so I saw an increase in speeds right away. I also have the ability to log in as another user (which doesn't have it installed). To test my internet connection without the assistance of the app).

~/Library/StartupItems/Broadband Optimizer

Also typing the following in the terminal:

sysctl -a

and seeing the following:
net.inet.tcp.sendspace: 65536
net.inet.tcp.recvspace: 65536
net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack: 0
net.inet.udp.recvspace: 73728

varifies that my installation was, in fact, sucessfull.

Duh.

I didn't actually restart OSX. I just logged out and back in. I finally had to reboot into 9 (damn Canon...get those OSX drivers done!) and upon rebooting back into OSX, it works fine.

Cool.

he he - that little technicality is an important step:p

you have now admitted to doing something boneheaded enough to receive a personal invitation to drop by Herve's Bar & Grill in the 'All Thoughts Non Technical' forum. Your first order is on the house:D

Hope to see you there!!

Back