Anyone using VPC on a 12"PB (867)?

LordCoven

Registered
Hey y'all,

I'm considering getting Virtual PC 6.1 for my 12"PB so that I can run some of the Windows-Only software used in the company I'm currently working for. Its either that or buy a WinTel notebook (yeuch). But in one review I read recently it said that VPC 6.1 performs really badly under 10.3. Hence I'm wondering whether any of you lot have any experience with this product which you'd be will to share with all and sundry?
I'd also be interested to know how well network access works for Windows apps running in VPC.

Cheers and good night :)
C

I wish I could offer first-hand experience, but I can't. Someone I know runs it on a 1GHz 12" PowerBook though, and it is very slow going. Fully-functional for what you are looking to do I think, but just very slow.

I run VPC 6.1 + WinXP Pro on my 12" iBook 800mhz and it runs decent. I wasn't expecting it to be great, and its nothing close to real Windows performance but I am able to run the 1 app I need fine as it is not at all graphic intensive. I also have Win98 setup but I mainly stick with the XP Pro.

I can sign into my Windows 2003 domain perfectly fine and have full functionality with all my required shares mapped.

I believe VPC runs a sort of NAT to give your WinOS access to whatever it needs.

If you use Terminal Services in your environment at all, you'll also be happy to know that Remote Desktop Client for Mac runs beautifully. In fact, if I am connected to my network, I run my software on a server through TS rather than using VPC, which I now only use if I'm offline somewhere. RDC for Mac also has the option for automatically mapping your Mac HDD so when you log in and go into My Computer you have access to all your files on your notebook right there sitting in a share, ready to be copied over or vice versa, which substitutes VPC's ability to drag and drop files from your Mac into your VPC window.

My main concern when getting this iBook was compatibility but I was sure glad to find out these tools have me covered :)

LordCoven, wait a bit with VPC6.1
The Office 2004 has gone gold and the professional version should include VPC 7.0
Have no clue what they improved there, but it's worth to wait a bit.
Anyway, Office applications (powerpoint here) run pretty good on my tibook using VPC 6.1 and WinXP Pro.

That's a good tip, Zammy-Sam. I will wait - there's no burning need right now (most things I can do without windows specific sw, its just that the company I work for has chosen CM Synergy as there revision control system, damn them, and I haven't found an OS X client for that yet).
Syphon: Thanks also for the input - sorry, I missed your post the first time round and only saw buu's ...

Cheers,
C

Back