Anyone who has issues lately with AirPort Extreme plz read.

zynizen

Registered
Hey everyone,

just thought I would post this, because I've been experiencing issues lately with my iMac 20" (bought about a month ago) and my Macbook Pro (bought a year ago) and a recent update to the AirPort Extreme Base Station 7.2.1

After the update both iMac and Macbook Pro have slowed down significantly.. losing connection to the net, restarting modem/airport every few hours, losing connections, etc.. etc.. I love apple, but lately they've been in my "get the ** on these issues mode!"

SO, for now... this is working:

If you have the same issues and/or experiencing something similar, this is what I've done., since I live in a Condo, my macs discover about 10 other wifi networks, none of which are airports, so I know i'm safe from other apple users..

go to the wireless settings on the basestation, and change the network to 802.11n (5Ghz) ONLY. Enable WPA/WPA2 Personal, and give yourself a new password.

since I just have 2 macs, and both are n enabled wifi, this might not work on a network with pc's, or older macs without n.

Simple solution, but I tried everything up to this point and nothing worked. Right now, I have a somewhat reliable connection since It's only been running like this for about 10 mins, but I think its faster, and I have a stronger connection, since the remaining 10 networks within range are not using the same frequency, I think I'll be back to superspeed.

And actually, I have no idea why this would cut out my particular connection, but its possible just having too many airwaves on wifi surfing the net, maybe the router was confused? it seems to be solid though, so if you live in the same situation, maybe give it a shot, or if you have lots of wireless handsets in the house, you'd be better to switch anyway to 5Ghz, give your wireless connection a solid dedicated frequency.

If anyone has any other solutions, by all means, post them here! Or if you've been experiencing the same issues.

Thanks for listening,
J

OK, actually.. same problem. Since the post it was running sooo fast, and now, it does the same thing on my iMac. Right now I can't get connected via iMac but, here on my Macbook Pro it works fine, periodically.

what can I do?

Have you tried putting it in g only mode? I was having dropped connections and other assorted problems as well, which went away when I ditched n. I think you have to hold option when you click on the menu to select the mode to get b/g or g only as options.

hm, sounds like the same issues, but it's actually working here no problem now. What I did was, rebooted my machine and did all the updates except the iMac update 1.1, after that, it seemed to be working fine, until it happened again, so I figure why not update it now, which I did, and it solved the issue. Whatever was causing the freezing from another one of my recent posts, and dropped connection I'm almost certain was related to the 1.0 update. Most people aren't reporting any issues, because they either already have the 1.1 update, or bought a machine pre-updated.

anyways, its working fine now, If there are any other problems, I'll be sure to post again!

Back